Idli upma recipe – A good way to use up lefover Idlis. I had always wondered why would anyone want to make Idli upma instead of enjoying them hot with sambar or chutney. Since I never cook excess foods, there is almost never leftovers in my home. This time I made some extra idlis only to try my mum’s Idli upma recipe which I am sharing.
Chilli idli, Idli fry, Idli manchurian, Masala idli, Kheema Idli are the most common ways to use up left overs. But this Idli upma is the quickest that one can make under 10 mins. This can be enjoyed for a evening snack or quick breakfast.
Idli upma recipe
- 6 Idlis
- 2 to 3 tsps oil
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 ½ tsp chana dal
- 1 ½ tsp urad dal
- Peanuts as desired
- Pinch of Hing / asafoetida
- 1 small to medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 to 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 to 2 green chilies chopped or slit
- Turmeric or haldi little
- Very little salt
- Coriander leaves few finely chopped
- 2 to 4 tbsps grated coconut fresh or frozen (optional)
- Crumble the refrigerated idlis. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and allow cumin and mustard to crackle.
- Add dals, peanuts and fry until the peanuts are golden.
- Add onions, curry leaves, green chilies and ginger.
- Saute just for 1 to 2 mins until the onions turn slightly pale.
- Sprinkle 1 table spoon water and add turmeric and hing.
- Add the crumbled idlis, coconut and coriander leaves. Mix everything well.
- Lower the flame and cook covered until the crumbled idlis turn hot.
- Adjust salt as needed.
- Serve idli upma hot.
How to make idli upma recipe
1. Crumble the idlis. For this recipe, we need cooled and preferably refrigerated or frozen idlis work well. Idli made using rice and not idli rava taste best for this. I have used about 6 large idli. I use this Idli recipe.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and cumin, when the mustard begins to crackle, add chana dal & urad dal. Dals lend a good aroma to the upma. You can also skip them.
3. Add peanuts and fry until golden. I prefer them in any of my upma recipes, if you do not like you may skip. But without dals and peanuts upma will turn out bland.
4. Add chili, ginger, curry leaves and onions. You can skip ginger if you do not like. Saute for 2 to 3 mins until the onions turn slightly transparent.
5. Sprinkle 1 tbsp water to the pan. This step brings out the flavor of onions, curry leaves and green chili like in the regular rava upma. Water also helps to soften the chana dal and urad dal.
6. Add hing and turmeric. You can skip turmeric, we use turmeric (atleast a bit) for all savory foods, so used it here.
7. Add crumbled idli, coconut and coriander leaves. Coconut adds a different taste to the idli upma.
8. Mix everything well and sprinkle salt if needed. If your idlis do not have a slight sour hint, you can also add a tsp of lemon juice. Cover and cook on a low heat until the mixture turns hot.
Serve Idli upma as breakfast or snack.