chickpea soup along with croutons or vegetable cutlet is my kids’ favorite breakfast. This Indian chickpea soup is one that makes a perfect breakfast soup with good amount of protein and fiber. Each time I use different herbs or greens like mint, coriander or spring onions or veggies like carrot. It even goes well with a noodles or spaghetti meal.
Chickpeas are high in protein and fiber. They are a low Glycemic food and are best for diabetic folks. This is one of the wonderful legume to start the day.
Dunk the croutons or cutlet in the chickpea soup and relish, you will absolutely love it. I prepared this soup along with the mushroom cutlets on a weekend for breakfast. This is one of the best breakfast soup even for babies older than an year.
Related recipe: punjabi chole masala
- ½ cup of Chickpeas / chana / chole
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
- Pinch of turmeric
- ¼ to ½ tsp. dry ginger powder (½ tsp grated fresh ginger)
- ½ to 1 tsp. chopped fresh mint or kasuri methi / dried fenugreek
- Lemon juice as needed or ½ tsp. amchur powder/ dry mango powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp. pepper powder
- Wash and soak chick peas for about 8 to 10 hours.
- Cook chickpeas till soft or for 2 to 3 whistles with 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker. Once the pressure comes down, set aside to cool.
- Blend this to a smooth puree with additional water to bring it to the desired consistency.
- Pour this back in the pan, bring it to a boil till it bubbles up, and add the rest of the ingredients. Adjust water as needed to bring it to the desired consistency: thick or thin.
- Garnish chickpea soup with fresh mint leaves and pepper if you like the flavors. You can serve warm with croutons or cutlets too. You can even serve it with low fat cream for an added taste.