Kadai mushroom recipe – Simple, quick, healthy and delicious kadai mushroom recipe made with basic ingredients. Kadai is a traditional Indian wok used to cook everyday foods in North Indian cuisine. Most foods can be preapared in a kadai like paneer, chicken and chole etc. To make these dishes, a flavorful spice powder made of coriander, red chilies etc is pound first. Then the sauteed veggies are spiced with this powder.
We try to include mushrooms in out diet as much as possible as they are healthy with good sources of vitamins. I prefer stir fry recipes as they are really quick to make and are healthy since the veggies do not get overcooked or turn soggy.
Back to this kadai mushroom recipe, this can be served with plain rice or roti or as a filling to sandwiches and wraps. If you like the stir fry mushrooms or the dry mushroom dishes then this one will surely be loved.
Kadai mushroom recipe below
- 1.5 tbsp Oil
- 1 to 1 ½ tsps ginger garlic paste
- ¼ to ½ tsp. kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 one large onion cubed
- 1 medium onion finely chopped (optional)
- ½ to ¾ cup chopped tomatoes (2 no)
- 1 ¼ to 1 ½ cup sliced mushrooms (10 to 12 medium)
- ¼ to ½ cup capsicum/ bell pepper sliced
- Few coriander leaves
- 3 to 4 red chilies
- 1 tbsp. coriander seeds / daniya
- Dry roast coriander and red chilies until crisp, you can skip this if you are using sun dried or using them from refrigerator.
- Blend them to a coarse or fine powder to suit your taste.
- Add oil to a hot pan, If you prefer to use fine chopped onions, saute them till golden. Add the ground powder and saute until it turns aromatic.
- Saute ginger garlic paste until the raw smell disappears.
- Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add mushrooms and bell pepper. Sprinkle kasuri methi and garam masala.
- Mix and fry for about 2 to 3 minutes. Cover and cook on a low flame till mushrooms are cooked.
- Garnish with coriander and grated ginger.
- If you like a kadai mushroom gravy which is of semi thick consistency, then you will need to use either 3 tbsp cream or 10 cashew nuts, When the mushrooms are almost cooked, add the cream and stir well. or If using cashews instead of cream. Soak 10 cashews in warm water for ten minutes. Blend them to smooth with little water. Add it to the kadai after the mushrooms are almost cooked. Cook until the gravy reaches a semi thick gravy.
- Garnish kadai mushroom with coriander leaves and grated ginger.
How to make kadai mushroom recipe
1. On a low heat, dry roast coriander seeds and red chilies in a pan until crispy. Cool and powder them to a slightly coarse powder. Set this aside. Wash and chop mushrooms and set aside.
2. Heat ghee in a pan. If using finely chopped onions, you can fry them until golden. I do not use onions, just to reduce the cook time. Add the ground kadai masala and saute until aromatic. Add the crushed ginger and saute until a nice aroma comes out.
3. Add finely chopped and deseeded tomatoes, turmeric and salt.
4. Cover and cook on a low heat until the tomatoes turn mushy.
5. Add mushrooms, cubed onions, sliced capsicum, kasuri methi & garam masala. Mix everything well and fry for 2 to mins.
6. Cook covered until the mushrooms are done. Mushrooms let out lot of water when covered and cooked. So don’t need to add water. Make sure they are cooked on a medium to low flame so that the flavors are absorbed well. Add finely chopped coriander. Keep covered for a while.
Garnish with coriander leaves and ginger juilennes.