Lemon millet rice recipe – Simple, healthy, delicious and refreshing millet recipe. Apart from oats, rice and atta, we also eat millets 3 to 4 times in a week. Some times I cook the millets plain or with rice to serve with sambar, curry or even with curd. Most times I make the variety millet rice dishes like millet pongal, millet khichdi, millet payasam etc. This lemon millet rice is one of our favorites, quick to make, light on the tummy and is delicious.
This can be served for breakfast or a meal. This also goes well in lunch box. Curd, pickle, vegetable salad, papads go well as a side with this.
Millets are one of the healthy whole grains, apart from being gluten free they are also alkaline & helps to reduce digestive problems. To make this lemon millet rice, I have used kodo millet known as arikelu in telugu and varagu in tamil. However you can also use foxtail millet, little millet or barnyard millet.
In this post I have shared how to cook kodo millet – varagu or arikelu.
Lemon millet rice recipe
- ½ cup kodo millet / varagu/ arikelu
- 1 ½ cups water
- Salt as needed
- 1 ½ tbsp. oil (use as needed)
- ½ tsp mustard
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsp chana dal
- 1 to 1 ½ urad dal
- Handful of peanuts or cashews split (use as needed)
- Pinch of hing/ asafoetida
- 1 green chili slit
- 1 red chilli broken
- ⅛ tsp turmeric / haldi
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 Medium to large lemon (use as needed)
- Add ½ cup millets to a pot and wash thoroughly. Drain completely. Add 1 ½ cups water, salt as needed to the pot and allow to soak for a while. You can also skip soaking.
- Cook them on a medium flame until all the water is absorbed, but slightly soggy. Cover the pot and simmer on the lowest heat until completely cooked. Fluff gently with a fork and cool completely.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard when they begin to splutter, add chana dal, urad dal, cashews and red chili, green chili.
- When the dals turn slightly golden, add curry leaves, ginger and green chili.
- Curry leaves turn crisp very soon, then turn off the stove and add turmeric and hing.
- Add the cooled millets and squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Mix everything well.
- Serve lemon millet rice with curd, veg sald, papad or pickle.
How to make lemon millet rice
1. Wash millets thoroughly. I prefer to soak them for 30 mins as they cook faster and lighter to digest. It is optional and you can skip it too.
2. 1:3 ratio works well for me. Add water along with salt to the pot and cook them on a medium flame until the water is absorbed. When there is little moisture, cover and cook on the lowest flame until soft and tender. Fluff up gently with a fork. Cool this completely.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and allow to splutter. Add chana dal, urad dal, red chili and green chili. If you do not prefer heat from the green chili add it later with ginger.
4. Add cashews and fry all until the dals turn golden.
5. Add curry leaves, ginger and green chili if you have not added earlier. Saute for a minute until the leaves turn crisp.
6. Turn off the stove. Add hing and turmeric.
7. Add the cooled millets and squeeze in lemon juice.
8. Mix everything well.
Serve lemon millet rice with curd, pickle, papad or vegetable salad.