Masala tea recipe – A step by step picture guide to make perfect & quick Indian masala chai at home without tea masala powder. Most Indians begin their day with a cup of hot tea and prefer the spiced tea that is the Masala Chai. It is also had with breakfast or evening snacks. Each one of us may have a different liking to certain flavors or taste in masala tea. This recipe gives you a basic idea of what can be used to make this quick version.
Each family has their own recipe for making a masala chai. Some like it strong, very much spiced and sweetened. You can adjust all the ingredients here to suit your taste and liking.
To make this quick masala chai, all we need is 3 basic spices ie – green cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon. You can also use few pepper corns if you have symptoms of cold or like to have a spicy tea. Fresh herbs like mint/ pudina and tulasi can also be used for health benefits.
There are 2 ways a masala chai is made. The first method is by making dry masala powder. You can check this post to make chai masala powder and then use it to make the tea. If you like to enjoy chai often then you may try that. The second method is this quick method shared in this post in which the spices are just crushed and used.
Masala tea recipe
Masala tea recipe | How to make Indian masala chai or tea
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¾ cup milk (full fat milk)
- 2 to 3 tsps sugar (organic)
- 3 green cardamoms / elaichi
- 2 to 3 cloves / lavang
- ½ inch cinnamon / dalchini ¾ inch if using true cinnamon
- ¾ to 1 tsp grated ginger / adrak (optional)
How to make the recipe
Add tea powder to a pot along with water and bring it a boil.
Add sugar to the boiling water. Allow ti boil for 2 to 3 minutes until the tea decoction gets ready.
Meanwhile pound the cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms. Either grate the ginger or crush it along with spices if you prefer to use.
Add the pound spices and ginger to the boiling tea decoction.
Pour the milk and allow to simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes.
Filter it to a cup. Enjoy masala tea hot.
How to make quick masala chai at home
1. Add tea powder to a pot. How much to use depends on the kind of tea powder used. You can use about 1.5 tsps tea powder to make 2 servings. You will have to experiment this a bit to arrive at the right quantity.
2. Add 1.5 cups water.
3. Add sugar to suit your taste. I have used about 3 tsps.
4. Allow to boil for 2 to 3 mins. While the black tea gets ready, proceed with the spices.
5. Choose your favorite spices. Most commonly cinnamon and green cardamoms are used. You can also use cloves, pepper and fennel seeds. To make a spiced tea with strong flavors you can use 3 green cardamoms, 2 to 3 cloves and half inch thin piece of cinnamon. If using true cinnamon you can use up to 1 inch like I have used.
6. Pound them in a mortar pestle or in a mini blender. I prefer to do it in a mini blender. If using ginger grate it or crush it. You can use ¾ to 1 tsp grated.
7. Once the decoction is ready, add the spice blend and ginger.
8. Pour ¾ cup milk. Heat it on a high flame until hot.
9. Reduce the flame and allow to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Simmering the tea on a low flame thickens the tea and makes it strong. You can also add a bit more tea powder at this stage if you like it to be more strong.
10. Filter to the cups or a steel bowl.
Enjoy masala tea hot or warm with breakfast or snack.