Millet khichdi recipe or korra biyyam khichdi recipe – Healthy whole grain foxtail millet khichdi with dal, mixed vegetables and leafy greens. Khichdi is made often at home for lunch since my younger kid loves it. I make many varieties, this one is similar to the dal khichdi i shared earlier except that there is millets & leafy greens in this. I had a readers request for this recipe, hence sharing it.
I have used foxtail millet known as korra biyyam in telugu & thinai arisi in tamil. You can use any other millet like kodo millet (varagu), barnyard millet or little millet (sama). Carrots, capsicum, peas, beans, tomatoes, palak or methi leaves go well in this. Moong dal or toor dal or a mix of both can be used.
Millet khichdi recipe
- ½ cup millets (can substitute 2 tbsp with rice)
- ½ cup dal (moong or toor)
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 cup mixed veggies (carrots, beans, peas, capsicum)
- ¼ cup methi leaves or ½ to 1 cup spinach / palak
- 1 small tomato deseeded (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder
- pinch of turmeric
- salt as needed
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala (optional)
- Wash millets and dal thoroughly until water runs clear. Soak for about 30 mins to 1 hour. The longer they are soaked the quicker and softer they turn. Drain them to a colander.
- Heat a pressure cooker or pot with ghee. Add cumin and allow them to splutter. Saute ginger until a nice flavor comes out.
- Add all the veggies including tomato. Saute on a medium flame for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric, garam masala and salt. Saute until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Then add drained millets and dal. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add water and check the salt.
- Pressure cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 whistles. I cook for 2 whistles.
- Fluff up and add a tsp of ghee.
- Serve millet khichdi with papad and pickle.