moong dal soup is one of the best soothing foods for folks trying to increase their protein intake or for those recovering from sickness, dehydration and even a flu. This soup makes one of the best healthy foods for everyone of us including babies, toddlers and kids. Moong dal is highly valued in ayurveda for its tridoshic nature, hence is considered as one of the best lentils to nourish human body.
Iam sharing 2 methods of making moong dal soup which i make. I was not familiar with this until I began to make dal soup for weaning my first baby. Over the years, i began to make a spiced version of this for the entire family. This can be had anytime of the year summer, monsoon or winters. All we need to do is use the right spices to suit the season. Ghee has healing properties and is beneficial to health if used in moderation, so i suggest using ghee and do not replace with oil. This soup can be served as a breakfast or after school for kids.
you can also check this moong dal recipe and moong bean detox soup.
you can find the details on how to make moong dal soup for babies and toddlers at the second half of this post.
how to make moong dal soup with step by step photos
this method can also be followed to make soup for toddlers
1. Wash dal few times till the water runs clear. If possible soak it for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Heat a pressure cooker with a tsp of ghee, add cumin and allow it to splutter.
3. Add freshly grated ginger and saute quickly. Do not burn.
4. Add dal and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame.
4. Add veggies like carrot, pumpkin, bottle gourd / lauki.
5. Pour water and pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles on a low to medium flame.
6. When the pressure goes off, add spice powders to suit your taste. Pepper , ajwain , dry ginger , cumin , amchur powder and kasuri methi go well in this soup. Use what ever you like. I added cumin, little pepper powder and more ghee. Ajwain, pepper and dry ginger go well in cold weather and cumin powder goes well in summer. Kasuri methi adds flavor, amchur adds a slight sour taste and flavor as well. If using kasuri methi, allow the soup to bubble a bit.
7. Mash with a masher well or cool it and blend it in a blender. We prefer to mash it and then serve warm.
moong dal soup recipe | dal soup recipe
- ¼ cup moong dal / skinned split mung bean / skinned green gram dal
- ½ tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp ghee
- ½ jeera / cumin
- 1 ½ to 2 cups water
- ½ to ¾ cup chopped veggies (carrots, lauki, pumpkin, spinach)
- salt as needed
spice powders (use to suit your liking)
- pepper powder
- pinch of dry ginger / saunth/ sonti
- ½ tsp cumin/ jeera powder
- ½ kasuri methi
- amchur powder / dry mango powder as needed
- generous pinch ajwain / vaamu powder
- heat ghee in a pressure cooker, fry cumin till it begins to sizzle.
- Add ginger and saute without burning.
- Add washed and soaked dal to the pressure cooker.
- Fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the veggies and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Pour water and cook on a low to medium flame for 1 to 2 whistles.
- When the pressure releases, mash the dal and add desired spice powders. If adding kasuri methi then boil the soup till it begins to bubble.
- Serve warm. or Cool, blend it and serve.
Tips on how to cook and introduce moong dal for babies
Always buy unpolished dal. Polished dal contains a oily substance and most times a color that releases when the dal is rinsed or cooked. unpolished dal looks pale and doesn’t shine like the polished one. If possible buy organic dal.
Rinse dal thoroughly till the water runs clear.
Soak the dal for about 30 minutes to 3 hours. Soaking prevents colic, if you are running out of time at least soak for 30 minutes.
Always cook dal on a low to medium flame.
Using a pressure cooker helps to cook the dal soft and can be mashed using a steel mini masher or baby food masher instead of blending the food.
Do not serve dal when baby has fever, colic or other problems.
how to make moong dal soup for babies over 5 months
Please take a pediatricians suggestion before you start feeding this to your baby. If your baby is preterm and is been suggested to put on solids by your doctor then you can start this as early as 4 months. Also follow the 3 day test and wait rule when you introduce this to your baby.
1. Wash 2 tbsp. moong dal thoroughly till the water runs clear.
2. Soak it for about 1 hour to 3 hours. If your baby has colic, i suggest soaking for 3 hours.
3. Add dal, 1.5 cups water and 2 tbsp. chopped carrot and pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles.
4. When the pressure goes off, strain the soup. Cool it completely and then feed the baby.
5. A baby under six months will be able to have only a few tsps. Try not to feed soup in a feeding bottle. Try using a spoon and bowl. Burp the baby before, in between and after the feed. This can be served daily once for the first 1 to 2 weeks. If the baby is doing well, then you can feed twice a day.
how to make dal soup for babies above 6 months
1. Wash,soak and cook 2 tbsp dal, 2 tbsp. carrot with 1 cup water till smooth for 1 whistle.
2. when the pressure releases, mash it well with a masher. Add a few drops of ghee. stir and cool it. Serve warm.
I made this for my 4 year old during his recovery from a bad flu and was quite dehydrated due to medication. So i did not use any spice powders. It is just made of dal, carrot, salt and ghee.