Drumstick curry recipe is a simple side dish called as munagakaya tomato curry in my mother tongue telugu. This curry is made of drumstick vegetable and not chicken drumsticks. This curry is prepared in most south Indian kitchens with very little variations. Some chose to add either potato or eggplant to this. However I have never tried it with eggplant but have eaten several times. Some use coriander powder and crushed garlic, if you like the flavors you may use it. Drumsticks are used often in my home as they are good for digestion and are loaded with nutrients.
Drumstick curry recipe shared here yields a delicious, flavorful and juicy drumsticks. This curry goes well with rice or even can be had with chapathi. No garam masala is used so that the flavor of drumsticks is not lost.
The quantity of all ingredients to prepare this drumstick curry are approximations only, you can adjust to suit your taste. The image you see above is an updated one. The color of the curry could be different based on the chili powder.
Drumstick curry recipe with step by step pictures
1. Heat oil in a deep pan, add mustard, cumin. when they begin to splutter, add curry leaves and green chili and sauté.
2. Add the onions, sprinkle salt and fry till they turn golden, I did not wait for them to turn golden as my casserole is a ceramic one and it tends to get burnt faster, but golden onions definitely add taste to the curry.
3. Add drumsticks and potatoes if using, fry for 2 to 3 mins to remove the raw smell.
4. Add tomatoes, some more salt,turmeric. fry till the tomatoes become completely soft and pulpy. do not cover and cook but fry in a open pan, tastes better.
5.Add red chili powder, coriander powder, garlic if using and sauté for a min.
6. pour water to cover the drumsticks and cook on a medium flame till they are thoroughly cooked. if you have enough time, try cooking on the lowest heat for a long time, I sometimes do that, it yields a very tasty curry. Serve drumstick curry with rice or chapathi.
You can also make a variation to this by adding boiled eggs.
When the drumsticks are half cooked, just roast the eggs in a tsp of oil in a separate pan and drop them in the curry and cook till the drumsticks are completely done. You can as well add as it is without frying too.
Drumstick curry recipe (munagakaya tomato kura recipe) below
Drumstick curry recipe | Drumstick vegetable recipe | Munagakaya curry
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 2 to 3 drumsticks , cut to finger length (try to use tender ones)
- 1 to 2 potatoes , cut to bite size (optional)
- 1 cup onions , finely chopped
- 1/3 cup tomatoes , chopped
- 1 green chili
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 pinch mustard
- 1 pinch cumin
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic , crushed , (optional, gives a different flavor)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powde r (optional, I do not use, without this too the curry tastes good)
- 2 to 3 tbsps oil
- water as needed to cook the drumsticks
How to make the recipe
Add oil to a deep pan and heat it, add mustard & cumin. Allow them to splutter, add curry leaves and green chili and sauté
Add onions, sprinkle salt and fry till golden
Add drumsticks, cubed potatoes if using and fry for 2 to 3 mins to remove the raw smell from the drumsticks.
Add chopped tomatoes, some salt and turmeric. Fry till the tomatoes turn soft and pulpy. Do not cover and cook but fry in an open pan, since fried tomato gravy tastes better
Add coriander powder, garlic and red chili powder if using and sauté for a min
Pour water just enough to cover the drumsticks and cook on a medium flame till they are tender. Cooking the drumsticks on the lowest flame yields a tasty curry.
Choose tender drumsticks