Mushroom biryani recipe – learn how to make mushroom biryani with step by step photos. Mushrooms are a powerhouse of nutrtion, have high anti oxidants, many other nutrients and are said to increase immunity. They can be added to everyday vegetables to prepare curry, stir fry , fried rice, pulao and even a flavorful biryani. Though we don’t like mushrooms much, I prepare them sometimes at least to get the health benefits they provide.
Mushrooms are called as putta godugulu in telugu, kalaan or kalan in tamil and khumb in hindi. Iam sharing a simple mushroom biryani recipe made with white button mushrooms. I have also mentioned how to make instant biryani masala powder that you can prepare in just 2 minutes.You can even use a ready made garam masala powder. You can also also check this simple mushroom dum biryani.
This biryani can be served with raita and some papads on the side. You can also pack this in the office or school lunch box.
Biryani is one of our favorite foods at home, so I make it often. You may also like to check these biryani recipes.
Simple mushroom biryani recipe below
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups basmathi rice or any fragrant rice
- ½ cup yogurt / curd or tomatoes
- 1 medium onion sliced thinly
- Fistful of Chopped mint / pudina
- Fistful of Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 ½ tbsp. Ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chili sliced
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- ½ tsp. red chili powder
- 1 star anise
- ½ tsp. shahi jeera
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 strand of mace
- 4 green cardamoms
- Small cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- Fat pinch of grated nutmeg (optional)
- ½ tsp. stone flower / dagad phool / kalpasi (optional)
- ½ tsp. saunf / fennel seeds
- Wash and soak rice for at least 20 minutes.
- Powder the ingredients mentioned under to powder. Set this aside
- Heat a pan with oil, add the dry spices to temper.
- When they begin to sizzle, add onions and chilies and fry till golden.
- While the onions fry wash and chop mushrooms
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell dis appears
- Add yogurt or tomatoes and fry till the oil begins to separate. While this cooks, bring 3 ½ cups water to boil in a large pot.
- Add red chili powder, powdered masala, mint and coriander leaves and fry for about 1 to 2 minutes
- Add mushrooms, fry on high for 2 minutes. Add boiling water to the mushroom mix and add rice & salt. Boiling water is added to prevent the mushrooms get soaked up in cold water. If you don’t mind eating mushy mushrooms, you can add cold water and bring it to a boil.
- Cook till the rice is fully cooked. If needed sprinkle some water.
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve mushroom biryani with onion raita.