Mushroom masala recipe – Easy mushroom gravy recipe that is simple to make and tastes delicious. It has a smooth gravy like the restaurant style dish with full of flavors. It is best served with plain or flavored rice and roti. In Indian cuisine, mushrooms are used to prepare a variety of dishes like biryani, pulao, kadai mushroom gravy and curries.
I am sharing 2 different methods or recipes to make mushroom masala curry. The first method of mushroom masala recipe is very simple to make and has a curry base like the paneer masala. Moderately spicy, tasty and goes well with ghee rice, plain rice, jeera rice, roti, chapathi, plain paratha, naan or plain biryani.
You can find a home style curry at the second half of this post.
Mushroom masala or mushroom gravy recipe
Mushroom masala recipe | Mushroom gravy | Mushroom recipes
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- ¾ cup cubed onions
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ inch ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 to 8 almonds or cashews
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- Small piece of bay leaf
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp light garam masala
- ½ to ¾ tsp coriander powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp kasuri methi
- salt as needed
- few coriander leaves chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsp cream
How to make the recipe
Blanch onions and cool them. Add them to a blender along with tomatoes, cashews or almonds, ginger and garlic.
Make a fine paste and set aside.
Heat oil in a pan and saute bay leaf, cinnamon and cardamoms.
Pour the onion tomato puree and cook until the mixture thickens.
Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Saute on a low heat until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
Add mushrooms and salt. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
Pour water as needed and cook until the mushrooms turn tender. Bring the gravy to a desired consistency by adding more water if needed.
Sprinkle kasuri methi. Cover and switch off the stove.
You can also add few tbsps of cream and coriander leaves.
Mix and serve mushroom masala hot with rice or roti.
How to make mushroom masala gravy or curry
1. Add ¾ cup cubed onions, ½ cup tomatoes, ½ inch ginger, 2 garlic cloves and 6 to 8 almonds or cashews to a blender jar. You can also replace ginger garlic with 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste. You can also blanch the onions and use if you have ever experienced bitterness from raw onions.
2. Puree them to a fine paste without adding water.
3. Heat a pan with 1.5 tbsp oil, add a small piece of bay leaf, 2 green cardamoms and 1 small cinnamon stick. Saute until they sizzle.
4. Pour the onion tomato puree. Be careful the mixture may begin to splash. Cover partially and continue to cook until the mixture thickens.
5. Add ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder, ½ to ¾ light garam masala and coriander powder (optional).
6. Saute until the mixture turns aromatic and begins to leave the sides. You may not see oil separated as we did not use much here.
7. Add 1 ½ cup sliced mushrooms and then sprinkle salt. (you can refer method 2 for preparing mushrooms).
8. Saute for 2 mins.
9. Add ½ to ¾ cup water and make a thick gravy. Adjust the quantity of water slightly as it depends on how much moisture the mushrooms release.
10. Cover and cook until the gravy thickens and mushrooms are cooked. Do not overcook as they turn rubbery. Sprinkle ¼ tsp kasuri methi. Cover and switch off the stove. At this stage you can also add few tbsps of cream if you like.
Serve mushroom gravy hot with rice, roti or jeera rice.
Recipe 2 – How to make mushroom masala recipe
This is a home style recipe, very simple to make and has a curry base like the Hyderabadi mirchi ka salan. To make the gravy thick you can use either peanut powder or cashew paste. Both taste good and impart different flavors to the curry. I used peanut powder for a change and loved it. It tastes similar to the hyderabadi mirch ka salan.
1 ½ cups sliced white button mushrooms
½ cup capsicums cubed (optional)
¾ cup of chopped onions
1/2 cup of chopped tomatoes or tomato puree
1 sprig curry leaves or bay leaf
¼ tsp cumin seeds or small cinnamon, 2 cardamom
1 tsp. ginger garlic paste
¾ tsp red chili powder
½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
1 tsp kasuri methi (optional)
2 tbsp. Oil
Salt to taste
Pinch of turmeric
2 tbsp. roasted Peanuts or 10 cashewnuts or almonds
1 tbsp. roasted Sesame seeds (optional)
1 tbsp. Desiccated coconut (optional)
1. Add oil to a pan and heat, saute mushrooms until a nicea roma comes out. Set aside. Saute capsicums too if using. Set them aside as well. To the same pan, add the dry spices. When they splutter, add green chili, onions and fry till golden. Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
2. Add tomatoes or tomato puree, salt and turmeric. If using tomatoes, fry till they turn mushy. If using puree , cook till it thickens and the raw smell disappears.
3. Add cashew paste or peanut coconut powder. If using cashew paste, fry for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Pour water and mix well. Bring it to a boil. When the gravy thickens, add mushrooms.
5. After the mushrooms are half cooked, add capsicums.
6. Add kasuri methi, garam masala. Mix and cook just until the mushrooms are cooked. Do not over cook.
Mushroom masala gravy is ready to serve with roti, paratha or biryani.