capsicum fry can be made in so many ways, this one is made in north karnataka style is a common dish from my home town in North Karnataka and is served with chitranna (lemon rice) or yogurt rice. I suppose this is also made in some regions of rayalaseema. It can be had with plain rice too with a dollop of ghee or can be served with rasam rice or sambar rice. if you have the powder ready it barely takes 10 mins to prepare.
Kids will love this. Bell peppers are roasted in a nutty spice powdery mix. The ingredients mentioned in the list to powder can be made in large quantities and stored in an air tight jar in a refrigerator and used when ever needed. It stays good for 2 to 3 months.
step by step photos on how to make capsicum fry
1. Dry roast peanuts, red chili and cumin. Remove the skin. Blend all the ingredients to a coarse powder .
2. Heat oil in a pan, add capsicum, turmeric and salt. Fry till they are half cooked. if needed cover and cook.
3. Add the ground powder and fry for a minute. Stir cover and cook for one to 2 minutes.
Serve with rice or lemon rice. Add hot ghee if serving with rice.
find capsicum fry recipe below
capsicum fry recipe - donne menasinakai recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 cup capsicum cut to desired size pieces
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp cumin
- Lemon juice optional
Powder (coarsely powder the below ingredients)
- 2 tbsp. Peanuts (you can increase if you like)
- 1 ½ tbsp. niger seeds (gurelli in kannada, gurellu in telugu)
- 1 ½ tbsp. grated dry coconut
- 3 to 5 red chilies (Kashmiri, byadgi is used in North Karnataka)
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- Dry roast peanuts, red chilies and cool them. Remove the skin. If using Niger lightly roast them too. Cool them.
- Powder peanuts, niger seeds, coconut, red chilies, cumin and garlic.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, cumin and curry leaves. Allow them to splutter.
- Add cubed capsicum, turmeric and salt.
- Toss for 2 to 3 minutes, cook covered until half cooked.
- Add the powdered peanut mix. Mix well and fry for a min.
- Cover and cook on a low flame for a min. Sprinkle lemon juice, if using.
- Serve with rice or chitranna.