Onion tomato chutney recipe to accompany South Indian Breakfast like Idli, Dosa, pesarattu, Pongal. Tomato chutney can be made in many ways. In this recipe I have used onions along with tomatoes to balance the sourness.
Onion tomato chutney has a hint of sweetness from the lightly fried onions. Next spice from red chilies add heat to the chutney. It also has a nutty flavor from the dals/lentils. All of these balance the tang from tomatoes. To get a tasty chutney, chana dal, urad dal or sesame seeds can be used. One of these or a mixture of all these can be used to suit your liking.
To make onion tomato chutney, shallots or large onions can be used along with Ginger or garlic. The amount of onions, tomatoes and red chilies can also be altered to suit ones taste. The color of the chutney may vary based on the type and number of red chilies used.
You can check this link for more Tomato recipes.
Video of onion tomato chutney recipe
You can also check this 1 minute video.
Other tomato chutney recipes on the blog
You can also check this collection of 40 Chutney recipes.
Onion tomato chutney recipe below
Onion tomato chutney recipe | How to make onion tomato chutney recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 2 medium onions
- 3 tomatoes
- 4 red chilies
- 1 tbsp. chana dal or senaga pappu
- ½ tbsp. urad dal or minapa pappu
- ½ to ¾ inch ginger or 1 to 2 garlic clove chopped
- ½ tsp. jeera
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp tamarind or lemon juice as needed (optional)
- 2 pinch turmeric or as needed
- 1 tsp oil
tadka or temper
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ tsp urad dal or skinned black gram
- 1 sprig curry leaves or kadi patta
- ¼ tsp mustard or rai
- ¼ tsp cumin or jeera
- pinch hing
- 1 red chili broken
How to make the recipe
There are 2 ways you can roast the ingredients. Here is the first method. For the second method follow the step by step pics below.
Heat a pan with oil. Dry roast dals till golden. Add cumin to the pan and set aside to cool.
Add chana dal and urad dal, red chilies and garlic.
Fry them until the dals turn lightly golden.
Add onions and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. The raw smell has to go away.
Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric.
Cook them until soft and mushy.
Cool this and blend until smooth.
Tempering onion tomato chutney
Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
Add cumin, mustard and urad dal.
When the dal turns golden, add curry leaves and red chilies. Fry till the leaves turn crisp. Add hing.
Add onion tomato chutney to the pan and mix. Or pour this tempering to the chutney. Serve with idli, dosa and pesarratu.
How to make onion tomato chutney
This is the second method. Refer recipe card for the first method. The tomato chutney made in this method tastes more flavorful. since the dal and onions are not cooked with tomatoes.
1. Dry roast chana dal and urad dal till golden and aromatic. Add cumin to the hot pan. Set aside to cool. I generally do the roasting of dals and cumin in large quantity and use whenever needed.
2. Next fry red chilies till crisp in 1 tsp oil. Set aside or you can cook them further.
3. Fry onions and garlic as well for about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Sprinkle salt and turmeric over the chopped tomatoes. Fry until mushy.
5. Next set aside to cool.
6. Add red chilies, cumin and roasted dals as well to a blender jar.
7. Make a fine powder.
8. Add garlic, tomatoes and onions.
9. Blend to a smooth or coarse texture to suit your liking.
10. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and urad dal. The dal turns golden in seconds. Add curry leaves and red chilies. Sprinkle hing. Finally pour this to the tomato chutney.
Serve onion tomato chutney with breakfasts or snacks.