Pasta in white sauce recipe with video – Vegetarian or veg pasta in white sauce or bechamel sauce made using flour, butter and milk. White sauce originated from the Italian and french cuisines and is a base for many other sauce recipes. It is used in the preparation of various dishes like pasta, lasagne and pies.
This recipe of pasta in white sauce calls for the basic sauce without adding too many flavoring ingredients. However you can also add Dijon mustard or heavy cream or cheddar cheese or cream cheese to suit your taste. There are a lot of options to tweak this basic white sauce pasta.
You may also like to check this post on Top 12 Pasta recipes.
Pasta in white sauce is not made as much as the red sauce pasta in my home. But is a favorite among many who prefer pasta in a creamy sauce.
When ever I make pasta in white sauce recipe, I use almond milk as we follow the food combining rules (food compatibility). However the taste of the white sauce made using vegan milk tastes completely different from the one made using regular full fat milk.
For the readers who have been following the food compatibility rules, I have shared tips on how to make almond milk for this recipe in the notes of the recipe card.
Using full fat milk and cheese are the key to making yummy and delicious white sauce. Usually cheddar cheese or parmesan cheese or a mix of many kinds of cheese are used to make white sauce pasta. But I have used cream cheese here since this is the only one I found without calf rennet.
If you are accessible to Amul cheddar you can use it and avoid processed cheese as they contain lot of additives.
You can also use the same recipe to make chicken pasta in white sauce, it turns out good with mustard and lots of black pepper.
Video of pasta in white sauce recipe
Pasta in white sauce recipe
- ¾ cup pasta
- 1 ¼ cup full fat milk (refer notes)
- ¾ tbsp. flour (whole wheat pastry flour, atta or organic plain flour (maida)
- 1 cup chopped veggies (carrots, bell peppers, sweet corn & peas)
- 2 tbsps. Cheese ( skip if you do not prefer)
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp crushed pepper
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp oregano
- Salt as needed
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot along with salt.
- When the water begins to boil rapidly then add pasta and cook al dente. Drain off completely reserving 2 to 4 tbsp of water.
- Add half of the butter to a pan and saute vegetables until al dente. Set these aside.
- Set the flame to low. Add rest of the butter to the pan and add flour. Saute it in butter until the raw smell goes off. The flour may turn slightly lumpy, just break up the lumps and continue to saute until it no more smells raw. Make sure the color of the flour doesn't change.
- Add ¼ cup of milk to this and stir well continuously breaking up the lumps.
- When you see the flour is well blended with milk, add rest of the milk and mix.
- Cook this until the sauce turns slightly thick.
- Add cheese if using and gently stir until the mixture reaches a thick sauce consistency. Add oregano and pepper. Switch off the stove.
- Add more salt if needed along with veggies & cooked pasta. Mix well to coat the pasta with the creamy sauce. If the sauce is too thick then, you may add 1 to 2 tbsps of reserved hot pasta cooked water.
- Sprinkle red chili flakes.
- Serve pasta in white sauce immediately.
If you do not prefer to use regular cow's milk in this recipe, then soak about 12 to 15 almonds for 2 to 4 hours in warm water. Remove the skin and blend them with just ¼ cup water to a smooth paste. Then mix with 1 cup water and make it 1¼ cup as needed in the recipe. If your blender does not blend almonds well then you may need to filter the milk and use. A mini blender or a bullet works good for this.
How to make white sauce pasta
1. Add salt to 4 to 5 cups of water and bring it to a rapid boil .
2. Add pasta. I used organic pasta. Cook as per instructions until done al dente.
3. Drain to a colander and reserve some water.
4. Add little butter to a pan.
5. Saute mixed vegetables until they are slightly tender yet crunchy. Set these aside.
6. Add more butter and then flour. To make white sauce a generous amount of butter is used to dissolve the flour. I had to reduce it due to personal preference.
7. Saute well until the flour loses the raw smell.
8. Lower the flame completely and add ¼ cup milk.
9. Begin to stir and dissolve the flour completely without any lumps.
10. Add the rest of the milk and stir.
11. Cook this until the sauce slightly thickens.
12. Add cheese if using. Also add pepper and oregano.
13. If needed add salt. Mix well until the cheese blends well. If the sauce is too thick you can add the reserved pasta cooked water/ stock. Switch off the stove.
14. Add vegetables and pasta.
15. Mix well. If needed you can add more pasta cooked water to make it creamy.
Garnish white sauce pasta with red chilli flakes and crushed pepper.