Pav bhaji recipe – pav is an Indian bread and bhaji is mashed vegetables cooked with spice powder. Learn how to make pav bhaji recipe with video & step by step photos. Mumbai street foods are popular across India. Masala pav, Pav bhaji, Sev puri, Aloo tikki, Dahi vada, Pani puri, Batata vada, samosa and vada pav and are some of them.
This is the best pav bhaji recipe that I have ever made and loved. Usually the street side mumbai pav bhaji is made with more potatoes & onions. Veggies like cauliflower, capsicum & peas are used in little quantities or even skipped.
Street stalls selling mumbai pav bhaji often avoid cauliflower as it turns out to be expensive for them. But while making it at home, it is good to use it as the flavor of bhaji turns out excellent. You can adjust the amount of veggies to suit your taste and liking.
There are many pav bhaji masala powders available in the market which can be used instantly. Each one differs in the flavor and taste. But the basic ingredients almost remain the same. Only the quantity of ingredients change. So you can chose the one you like.
I like my homemade masala powders so I make my own pav bhaji masala powder at home.
Video of pav bhaji recipe
Pav bhaji recipe
Pav bhaji recipe | How to make mumbai pav bhaji recipe
A detailed recipe to make quick & delicious mumbai pav bhaji at home. Bhaji is a mix vegetable curry served with Indian buns - pav
- 1 cup cubed potatoes - 3 medium or 2 large
- ½ to ¾ cup green peas or matar
- ½ to 1 cup cauliflower or gobi
- ½ cup capsicum chopped
- 1 to 2 tbsp butter or oil (2 tbsp. suggested)
- 2 medium onions (¾ cup finely chopped )
- 1 green chili (optional)
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric or haldi
- 1 tbsp. paav bhaji masala powder (use more if your potatoes are large)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 large tomato or 2 medium chopped
- ½ tsp kasuri methi (optional)
- Additional butter for pav
- 4 to 6 Pav (buns)
for garnish (optional)
- Lemon wedges as needed
- Chopped onions as needed
- Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp butter
Prepration of bhaji
- Boil or pressure cook cauliflower, potatoes and peas until cooked fully. Mash up well when the pressure comes down. You can also cook these in a pot.
- Add butter or oil to a pan and heat up. Add onions and fry till they turn translucent, add ginger garlic paste and chili. Fry till it gets fragrant. Fry capsicums for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt. Fry till tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Add chili powder and pav bhaji masala powder. Mix and fry for another 2 minutes or until the raw smell of the mixture goes away.
- Add boiled & mashed veggies.
- Pour water just enough to bring to a consistency.
- Cook for 3 to 5 mins until the bhaji thickens. Add kasuri methi if using and cook until it reaches a desired consistency.
Making pav bhaji
- Slit the pav buns horizontally leaving one edge intact.
- Heat butter on a pan. Open the buns and sprinkle some masala on butter. Place the pav & toast it for a min or two.
- Garnish pav bhaji with onions, butter and serve it hot or warm.
How to make pav bhaji recipe at home
1. Add potatoes, cauliflower, and peas to a pressure cooker or a pot. Add water just enough to cover them partially. You can also use carrots if you like.
2. Pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles on a medium flame.
3. When the pressure goes off, open the lid. Veggies should be soft cooked. Mash them well.
4. Heat butter or oil in a pan. Butter tastes best.
5. Add onions & fry till they turn translucent.
6. Add ginger garlic paste and green chilli. Fry until it smells good. Take care not to burn.
7. Add bell pepper. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Fry till tomatoes turn mushy, soft and pulpy.
9. Add chilli powder and paav bhaji masala powder.
10. Mix well and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
11. Add the boiled & mashed veggies. Add water as needed and stir.
12. Mix well and simmer for a while to bring out the flavor of masala. You can add kasuri methi if you like.
13. When it reaches the desired consistency, add chopped coriander leaves. switch off. Add some lemon juice.
14. Slit the pav horizontally leaving one edge intact. Heat butter on a tawa. Add little masala powder.
15. Place the pav on the butter and toast for 1 to 2 mins.
Garnish with coriander leaves, lemon wedges and chopped onions. Top with butter on hot bhaji. Serve pav bhaji with some butter topped and onion.