Pav bhaji recipe – pav is an Indian bread and bhaji is mashed vegetables cooked with spice powder. Learn how to make pav bhaji recipe with video & step by step photos. Mumbai street foods are popular across India. Masala pav, Pav bhaji, Sev puri, Aloo tikki, Dahi vada, Pani puri, Batata vada, samosa and vada pav and are some of them.
This is the best pav bhaji recipe that I have ever made and loved. Usually the street side mumbai pav bhaji is made with more potatoes & onions. Veggies like cauliflower, capsicum & peas are used in little quantities or even skipped.
Street stalls selling mumbai pav bhaji often avoid cauliflower as it turns out to be expensive for them. But while making it at home, it is good to use it as the flavor of bhaji turns out excellent. You can adjust the amount of veggies to suit your taste and liking.
There are many pav bhaji masala powders available in the market which can be used instantly. Each one differs in the flavor and taste. But the basic ingredients almost remain the same. Only the quantity of ingredients change. So you can chose the one you like.
I like my homemade masala powders so I make my own pav bhaji masala powder at home.
Video of pav bhaji recipe
Pav bhaji recipe
Pav bhaji recipe | How to make mumbai pav bhaji recipe
A detailed recipe to make quick & delicious mumbai pav bhaji at home. Bhaji is a mix vegetable curry served with Indian buns - pav
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients to make bhaji for pav bhaji
- 1 cup potatoes - 3 medium or 2 large, cubed
- ½ to ¾ cup green peas or matar
- ½ to 1 cup cauliflower or gobi florets
- ½ cup capsicum chopped
- 1 to 2 tbsp butter ( or oil , 2 tbsp. suggested)
- 2 medium onions (¾ cup finely chopped )
- 1 green chili (optional)
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder less spicy kind
- ¼ tsp turmeric or haldi
- 1 tbsp pav bhaji masala powder (use more if your potatoes are large)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 large tomato or 2 medium chopped
- ½ tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves, optional)
- ½ tsp salt
Ingredients for toasting pav
- 4 to 6 Pav (buns)
- 1 tbsp butter for toasting pav
- ½ tsp pav bhaji masala powder
Ingredients to garnish pav bhaji
- 1 Lemon wedges
- 2 tbsp Chopped onions
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp butter
How to make the recipe
Preparation for pav bhaji recipe
Add cauliflower, potatoes and peas to a pot or pressure cooker.
Pour water to partially cover them and cook until soft or fully done. If cooking in cooker, let it whistle once or twice.
When the pressure comes down open the lid and mash them well.
Making bhaji for pav bhaji
Add butter or oil to a pan and heat up.
Next add onions and fry till they turn translucent.
Then add ginger garlic paste and chili. Fry till it gets fragrant.
Fry capsicums for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add tomatoes and salt. Fry till tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
Next add chili powder and pav bhaji masala powder.
Mix and fry for another 2 minutes or until the raw smell of the mixture goes away.
Add boiled & mashed veggies.
Pour water just enough to bring to a consistency.
Cook for 3 to 5 mins until the bhaji thickens. Add kasuri methi if using and cook until it reaches a desired consistency.
How to make pav bhaji
Slit the pav buns horizontally leaving one edge intact.
Heat butter on a pan. Open the buns and sprinkle some masala on butter. Place the pav & toast it for a min or two.
Garnish pav bhaji with onions, butter and serve it hot or warm.
Recipe notes for pav bhaji
The street style mumbai pav bhaji is mostly made without cauliflower.
If you do not have pav bhaji masala, then replace it with garam masala and more red chili powder. But the flavor will be different.
How to make pav bhaji recipe at home
1. Add potatoes, cauliflower, and peas to a pressure cooker or a pot. Add water just enough to cover them partially. You can also use carrots if you like.
2. Pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles on a medium flame.
3. When the pressure goes off, open the lid. Veggies should be soft cooked. Mash them well.
4. Heat butter or oil in a pan. Butter tastes best.
5. Add onions & fry till they turn translucent.
6. Add ginger garlic paste and green chilli. Fry until it smells good. Take care not to burn.
7. Add bell pepper. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Fry till tomatoes turn mushy, soft and pulpy.
9. Add chilli powder and paav bhaji masala powder.
10. Mix well and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
11. Add the boiled & mashed veggies. Add water as needed and stir.
12. Mix well and simmer for a while to bring out the flavor of masala. You can add kasuri methi if you like.
13. When it reaches the desired consistency, add chopped coriander leaves. switch off. Add some lemon juice.
14. Slit the pav horizontally leaving one edge intact. Heat butter on a tawa. Add little masala powder.
15. Place the pav on the butter and toast for 1 to 2 mins.
Garnish with coriander leaves, lemon wedges and chopped onions. Top with butter on hot bhaji. Serve pav bhaji with some butter topped and onion.