Peas pulao recipe or matar pulao recipe with video – Basic pulav made with green peas known as matar In hindi. Pulao is a Indian rice pilaf made using very few spices, veggies or meat. It is served with a raita or any veg or non-veg gravy. Usually basmati rice is used to make pulao but any premium quality rice can also be used.
Peas pulao is usually made when we have guests home and plan for a elaborate menu. Since there is no chopping of any veggies other than an onion, it is really quick to make this. You can serve this with a yogurt raita or a nice veg curry like veg kurma, restaurant style paneer butter masala or paneer makhani or non-veg gravy. I made this peas pulao, a simple chicken curry and a carrot raita for our lunch during the last weekend.
I have shared a video on how to make matar pulao in pressure cooker.
Video of peas pulao recipe in pressure cooker
Peas pulao recipe card below
- 1.5 cups basmati rice
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 heaped cup green peas / matar
- ¾ tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilies slit
- Handful of mint leaves / pudina
- 1 large onion or ¾ cup sliced or chopped
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Cashews as needed
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp cumin/ jeera or shahi jeera
- 1 star anise / chakri phool,
- 4 to 6 green cardamoms / elaichi,
- 2 strands of mace/ javitri,
- a small piece of nutmeg / jaiphal (optional),
- 6 cloves / lavang,
- little Stone flower / dagad phool (optional)
- 1 bay leaf / tej patta
- 2 inch cinnamon stick / dalchini (if using true cinnamon use three 2 inch pieces)
- Wash and soak rice for at least 30 mins. If you are in a hurry you can soak it in hot water for 15 mins and use up. Discard the water and drain to a colander.
- Slice the onions and mint leaves. Slit the green chilies. Make the ginger garlic paste. Set them aside.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pot or cooker and saute cashews if using. When they turn golden set them aside. Saute spices for a minute.
- Add onions and fry until golden. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
- Saute pudina/ mint for 2 mins.
- Add peas and rice. Saute for 3 to 4 mins.
- Pour water and add salt. Check salt and add more if needed. The water must taste medium salty.
- Cook on a medium heat until the water is almost absorbed. If using pressure cooker, cover the lid and cook on a low heat for 5 mins.
- If cooking in a pot, then cook covered for 5 to 7 mins on a low heat.
- Fluff up with a fork once done. Allow to rest for sometime.
- Garnish peas pulao or matar pulao with nuts. Serve with raita or a gravy.
How to make peas pulao recipe
1. Wash 1.5 cups rice a few times until the water runs clear. Soak it for at least 30 mins. Drain and set aside. Slice 1 medium onion and slit 2 green chilies. Make a fine paste of ginger garlic.
2. This step is optional, you can also skip it. We usually prefer cashews in peas pulao so used it. Add 2 tbsp oil or ghee to a hot pot or pressure cooker. Fry them until golden. Set these aside to a plate. Ghee lends a special aroma.
3. To the same pot, add spices and saute for a minute or 2.
Spices to use are
1 star anise / chakri phool,
2 strands of mace/ javitri,
4 to 6 green cardamoms / elaichi,
a small piece of nutmeg / jaiphal (optional),
6 cloves / lavang,
1 tsp jeera / cumin,
little Stone flower / dagad phool (optional)
1 bay leaf / tej patta
2 inch cinnamon stick. If using true cinnamon like me, you can use up to 3 – 2 inch pieces.
4. Add sliced onions and slit green chilies.
5. Saute until they turn golden.
6. Lower the flame and add 3/4 tbsp ginger garlic paste.
7. Fry until the raw smell goes off. Add mint leaves here and fry for 2 mins. I forgot at this stage so added later.
8. Add 1 cup green peas.
9. Add drained rice.
10. Saute everything well for 3 to 4 mins. Handle the rice gently otherwise grains will break.
11. Pour 2.5 cups water. If you are using rice from new harvest or sticky rice, you will need to heat water separately in a different pot and pour here.
12. Add salt. Stir and taste the water. It must be medium salty.
13. Add handful of finely chopped mint leaves.
14. Allow to cook on a medium heat until the water is almost absorbed. But it must be still soggy as you see below.
15. Cover the pot at this stage , lower the flame and cook for 7 mins. If using pressure cooker, close the lid and cook for 5 to 6 mins on a low flame. Switch off the stove and allow to rest for a while.
16. Fluff it up with a fork.
Garnish peas pulao or matar pualo with cashews just before serving peas pulao. Enjoy with a raita or gravy.