Poha recipe – Poha or pohe is a quick breakfast or snack food made of beaten rice or flattened rice from the Maharashtrian and Gujarati cuisines. Kanda batata poha is made using beaten rice, onions and potatoes. Kanda translates to onion and batata to Potato. It is a kids’ friendly recipe and can also be packed in the lunch box or eaten after school. It is usually eaten on its own along with a cup of tea or coffee.
To make kanda batata poha, you can either use boiled/ steamed potatoes or use them raw directly and cook in the pan itself. I have followed the later method. But if you have trouble cooking your potatoes quickly, then it is good to use them boiled.
Quick Kanda batata poha recipe below
Poha recipe | How to make kanda batata poha for breakfast, snack
Batata poha is a Maharashtrian breakfast or snack food that is made with beaten rice, onions and potatoes.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for poha recipe
- 1 ½ cups poha (thick to medium kind)
- 1 potato medium, cubed to small size(½ cup)
- 1 onion medium, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 green chilies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Handful peanuts
- 1 ½ tbsp oil
- ¾ tsp mustard
- ¾ tsp cumin or jeera
- ¼ tsp turmeric or haldi
- Salt as needed
- ½ to 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- Lemon juice as needed
How to make the recipe
Preparation for poha recipe
Wash poha few times and drain the water completely. Set aside to soften. If needed sprinkle some water and allow to soften.
Dry roast the peanuts until nice aroma begins to come. Set these aside.
How to make poha
Heat a pan with oil and add cumin, jeera and hing.
When they begin to splutter, add onions , curry leaves and green chilies. Saute until the onions turn lightly pink.
Add cubed potatoes and saute for a min. Cover and cook on a low heat until soft and cooked completely. If needed can sprinkle some water and cook. Once done, saute for another minute.
Add turmeric and pohe. Mix well and cover the pan.
Cook on a low heat until the pohe turns hot.
Add coriander leaves and switch off. Sprinkle lemon juice. Mix well.
Garnish poha with roasted peanuts and coriander leaves.
How to make poha recipe
1. Clean flattened rice and add them to a large bowl or pot.
2. Rinse them well a few times. Drain the water completely and set aside.
3. Meanwhile chop onions, green chilies and potatoes. Poha would have absorbed water and softened in about 5 to 7 mins. Run your finger across the flattened rice to break lumps if any. If they do not turn soft, then sprinkle some water and set aside. Make sure they do not turn mushy. Add salt and sugar (optional). Mix and set aside.
4. Dry roast peanuts until they turn golden. Set these aside. This step is optional.
5. Heat a pan with oil and allow the mustard and cumin to crackle. Add hing.
6. Add chopped onions, green chilies and curry leaves.
7. Saute until the onions turn pink.
8. Add potatoes and saute for a min.
9. Cover and cook on a low heat until the potatoes are soft cooked. If you have used boiled potatoes, you can skip this step.
10. Once the potatoes are cooked thoroughly, you can saute them on a high flame for 2 mins. Add turmeric.
11. Add pohe and mix well.
12. Cover and cook on a low heat until it becomes hot. Stir in between to prevent burning. Sprinkle coriander leaves and roasted peanuts.
13. Switch off. Add lemon juice and keep it covered until served.
Serve kanda batata poha with coriander leaves and roasted peanuts garnished.