Pulao recipe with video & step by step photos – an easy one pot Indian rice pilaf cooked with mild spices and veggies. Pulao or pulav is one of the most common rice dishes that is often made in most Indian homes. It is also the one most commonly on the menu for parties or celebrations served along with a yogurt raita. There are a few different variations of making pulav, I am sharing a simple andhra style pulao recipe that goes good in lunch box or for a quick meal or for a party. This veg pulao recipe is ridiculously easy to make and can be served alone without any side dishes.
There are so many different pulao recipes, the basic one is made with mixed vegetables. But it can also be made using any one vegetable like carrot, peas or paneer, eggs or even chicken.
Video recipe of veg pulao in pressure cooker
Veg pulao recipe below
- 1.5 cups basmathi rice or any fragrant rice
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 1 large strand of mace
- ½ to ¾ tsp shahi jeera
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- small piece of nut meg
- dagad phool or stone flower little
- ¼ tsp saunf powder / fennel seeds powder (optional)
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 green chilies slit
- 1.5 tsp ginger garlic paste
- handful of pudina/ mint (chopped finely)
- 1 to 1.5 cups chopped vegetables
- salt as needed
- 2 ½ to ¾ cups water (for the whistle method, 2.5 cups water)
- Wash and soak rice for at least 15 minutes. Drain off the water and set aside.
- Chop all the veggies and slice onions. Chop pudina and slit green chilies.
- Saute dry spices in hot oil until they sizzle.
- Saute onions until golden.
- Fry ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes off.
- Add all the veggies and mint, saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add water and salt.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil.
- Add drained rice and stir.
- At this stage there are 2 ways to cook further. First method is to cover the cooker with the lid after adding rice and cook on a medium flame for 1 whistle. Second method is to cook on a medium flame until the water evaporates. When the rice is still soggy, cover with a lid or pressure cooker lid and lower the flame. Cook on a low flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Switch off the stove.
- When the pressure goes down, remove the lid and fluff up the rice.
- Serve veg pulao hot or cold with a simple raita or gravy.
How to make veg pulao recipe – step by step photos
1. Add oil or ghee in a pressure cooker or pot. If making for lunch box, avoid using ghee. Add dry spices – bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamom, Shahi jeera, star anise, little piece of nutmeg, dagad phool (stone flower) mace. I also use 1/4 tsp saunf/ fennel powder. For a less fragrant rice, one may skip nutmeg, saunf, dagad phool.
2. When the spices begin to sizzle, add thinly sliced onions and slit green chilies.
3. When the onions turn golden or brown, add freshly ground ginger garlic paste.
4. Saute well until the raw smell of ginger garlic disappears.
5. Add mixed veggies and chopped mint / pudina. I use peas, beans, carrots most of the times. You can also use potatoes and a handful of cashews.
6. Saute everything well until the mint smells good. Usually for 2 to 3 minutes. You can also add soaked and drained rice now and saute for 2 to 4 minutes.
7. Add water and then salt. If you have sauteed rice in the previous step, i suggest adding hot water to cook otherwise rice grains may break.
8. When the water comes to a rolling boil, add soaked and drained rice.
9. Stir and cook the rice. There are a few different ways of cooking rice at this stage.
The first method of making veg pulao in pressure cooker is to cover the lid immediately after adding rice and cook on a medium high flame for one whistle.
The second method is to cook on a medium flame until the water is almost evaporated but still soggy or the rice is too wet. Cover and lower the flame completely and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. This method works good for both cooking in a pot or in a pressure cooker. When the pressure goes off, remove the lid.
10. Mix everything well. Fluff up the rice with fork.
Serve veg pulao hot or warm with a gravy or raita.