Rava kesari recipe or kesari bath is a south Indian sweet that is often made for festive occasions or special days. There are many variations of this like pala kesari, banana kesari, pineapple kesari, mango kesari, semiya kesari or fruit kesari recipe. The term kesari means saffron.
Rava kesari is made with semolina, sugar and a pinch of saffron or food color. It is often served with simple festival meals as a dessert. It is as well offered to Gods as naivedyam or prasadam during navratri and other festivals and even during regular friday puja.
This rava kesari is made without any unhealthy food color, a fat pinch of saffron has been used. If you do not have saffron, you can use natural edible color.
Rava kesari recipe (kesari bath)
Rava kesari recipe | How to make rava kesari recipe | Kesari bath recipe
Kesari bath or rava kesari is a popular south Indian breakfast dessert made of semolina and sugar.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
ingredients for rava kesari recipe
- 1 cup semolina or rava
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1/8 tsp green cardamom powder or elaichi powder
- ½ tsp rose water (optional)
- 2 pinches natural kesari color or saffron trands
- 3 tbsp Ghee or clarified butter (you can use upto 5 tbsp)
- 8 Cashews
- 10 raisins
How to make the recipe
Prepration for rava kesari recipe
Fry semolina on a medium flame till it is lightly roasted yet not discolored. You can also fry it in a tbsp of ghee to bring out the aroma.
Keep this aside until cool.
Pour 2 tbsp ghee to a pot and heat it.
Add cashews and fry until lightly golden. Then throw in the raisins.
Saute until they turn plump. Set these aside as well.
How to make rava kesari
Pour water to a pot. Then add sugar and kesari or crushed saffron.
Stir and dissolve the sugar. Bring the water to a rapid boil.
Pour semolina in a slow stream, stirring with the other hand to break up the lumps.
Pour rose water if using.
Cover and cook on a medium heat, stirring occasionalyl till all the moisture evaporates and reaches a halwa consistency.
Pour ghee to the rava kesari and mix. Keep covered for a while.
Garnish rava kesari or kesari bath with nuts and raisins.
Preparation for rava kesari recipe or kesari bath
1. Dry roast rava / semolina till you begin to get a roasted smell. Do not over fry and discolor. Move this to a plate. You can also fry the rava in ghee.
2. To the same pot add 1 tbsp ghee. Fry the cashews lightly and then add the raisins. Fry together till the raisins plump up. Set them aside to a small bowl.
How to make rava kesari recipe or kesari bath
3. Pour 3 cups water, crushed saffron, sugar and cardamom to the same pot. Then bring it to a boil.
4. Let the sugar dissolve and begin to boil rapidly.
5. Pour the semolina little by little stirring with one hand to prevent lumps. If using rose water, add it now.
6. You can cover the pot to prevent splashing on to you.
7. Cook till all the water evaporates on a medium flame. Off the stove.
8. Add the rest of the ghee. Cover and allow to rest for a while. Garnish with nuts. Serve rava kesari hot or warm.