green tomato chutney or raw tomato chutney is made using tomatoes that are still green in color or unripe. Loaded with antioxidants and vitamin C they are an healthy choice to include in soups, stews or chutney.
green tomato chutney iam sharing today is an andhra style pachadi called as pachi tomato pachadi or chutney that can be served with rice or pesarattu,oats dosa,instant moong dal dosa, idli. It tastes tangy, spicy, nutty and is best if made using a hand pestle, not a blender. Sesame seeds powder in the recipe adds nutty taste and it can be replaced with urad dal(minapa pappu) and chana dal(senaga pappu).
The consistency of the chutney depends on the variety of green tomatoes used, juicy, pulpy etc.
green tomato chutney or raw tomato chutney recipe below
- 4 large raw tomatoes
- 4 to 5 green chilies (slit)
- 2 garlic pods
- ¾ to 1 tsp cumin
- Salt to taste
- pinch of turmeric
- 3 tbsp. White sesame seeds powder (or chana dal & urad dal)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. Tamarind (optional, if tomatoes not tangy)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp urad dal (optional)
- ½ tsp chana dal (optional)
- 1 garlic crushed
- Pinch of hing
- ½ broken red chili
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Soak tamarind in 2 tbsps. Hot water. If your tomatoes are tangy enough , you need not use it. Skip this step.
- Dry roast sesame seeds or (chana dal and urad dal till they turn aromatic. Cool and powder them in a dry blender. Set the blender jar aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry green chilies, set aside
- In the same pan, fry tomatoes till mushy and soft. Squeeze of the tamarind and filter the paste to the hot pan.
- When tomatoes cool down, pulse cooked tomatoes, green chilies with salt, turmeric, garlic, cumin.
- Add sesame seed powder, pulse it again.
- You can skip seasoning if you don’t prefer. Heat oil in a small pan or can use the same pan for seasoning, add cumin, mustard, dals and let the dals turn golden, add garlic, curry leaves and red chili, saute for a min, add hing and pour this over the chutney.
- Enjoy this with bread, idli, dosa, pesarratu or plain rice with ghee.
for more chutney recipes,check
onion ginger chutney
methi leaves chutney
green chilli chutney
mixed vegetable chutney