Sabudana vada recipe with step by step photos. – A popular maharashtrian snack made using sago/tapioca pearls also known as sabudana, javvarisi, saggubiyyam or sabbaki in other Indian languages. Sabudana vada is also served during fastings or Upvas/ Vrat especially during Navratri. Sabudana khichdi and sabudana kheer are other foods made during fasting. These sabudana vada turn out delicious, crunchy on the outer side and are soft inside.
To make good sabudana vada, always soak the sabudana well until they turn soft. You can roast the peanuts ahead, crush them and store in a jar. This saves some time on the day you prepare these vadas. Make sure your boiled potatoes are just cooked and not mushy otherwise sabudana vada will soak up lot of oil.
These are best served hot with chatni or some hot tea.
Sabudana vada recipe
Sabudana vada recipe | How to make sabudana vada | Vrat recipes
Sabudana vada are a deep fried snack made with tapioca pearls, peanuts and potatoes. These are usually made during religious Hindu fastings.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- ½ cup sabudana (tapioca pearls or sagu)
- 1 heaped cup potatoes cubed or 2 medium sized
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 1 tbsp. chopped coriander leaves
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 to 2 green chilies chopped
- powdered rock salt as needed
- 1½ tsps lemon juice
How to make the recipe
Preparation for sabudana vada
Wash and soak sabudana for 2 to 4 hours.
Drain them completely. Please make sure they are soaked well otherwise sabudana may burst in oil.
Roast peanuts and powder them coarsely.
Boil potatoes and mash them.
Mix together sabudana, mashed potato, peanuts, green chili, salt, cumin and coriander leaves. Add lemon juice and mix well.
How to make sabudana vada
Make 10 to 12 balls and then flatten to make the patties or vada.
Heat oil in a kadai.
Drop a small portion of the mixture to check if the oil is hot enough. The dough has to rise without browning quickly.
Drop the sabudana vada in hot oil one after the other. Deep fry until golden.
Drain and serve sabudana vada with chutney.
Sabudana if not soaked well can burst in oil. So make sure they are soaked well and not hard from inside.
Preparation for sabudana vada recipe
1. Wash and soak half cup sabudana in water for about 2 to 4 hours.
2. Drain up the water completely. They double in size after soaking. Make sure they are soaked well and turned soft else sabudana may burst in oil while frying the vadas.
3. Dry roast 1/4 cup peanuts until golden.
4. Cool them completely and make a coarse powder. I removed the skin partially.
5. Peel the skin and cube 2 medium sized potatoes. They must come up to at least 1 heaped cup. Boil them. Do not make them mushy. Drain any excess water or evaporate.
6. Mash them.
7. To the bowl of sabudana, add ground peanuts, mashed potato, jeera, chopped green chilies, chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice and powdered rock salt.
8. Mix everything well.
How to make sabudana vada recipe
9. Make 10 to 12 equal sized balls from the dough.
10. Grease your palm and flatten the balls gently to give the shape of a vada. If they break towards the edges, you can just stick them back. Place them in a plate or foil.
11. Heat oil in a pan. Deep fry them.
12. Fry until golden on both the sides.
Serve sabudana vada with green chutney or farali chutney.