Shahi tukda or shahi tukra – A very popular rich desert shahi tukda recipe which is similar to or same as the Hyderabadi Double ka meetha, that has originated during the Mughal reign. Bread is deep fried in ghee till golden,then garnished with condensed milk,nuts & mawa/khoya. Most times this delight is served towards the end of a feast where a meat biryani is the star. This makes a great dessert for parties or large family gatherings or for iftar.
The aunthetic shahi tukda recipe is made by deep frying the bread in ghee and it can also be pan fried with ghee smeared over it. or can also be baked and used here.
To make shahi tukda, rabri is made by condensing the milk until it thickens or reduces to at least half the original quantity. If you have the time and patience to make it, then you can follow this rabri recipe.
If one does not like to toil near the stove for long hours for making rabri, then ready condensed milk tin can be used. You can also instead blend few soaked almonds and add to the boiling milk. Under 5 minutes, the best aromatic rabri will be ready. This is the way I always make shahi tukda or double ka meetha.
For more sweets recipes, you can check
Shahi tukda or shahi tukra recipe below
- 6 slices bread
- 2 tbsp ghee or ¾ cup ghee (for deep frying)
- 3 + ¼ cups whole milk (can use condensed milk)
- 3 to 5 tsps. sugar (for making the Rabri)
- ⅓ cup sugar (for making syrup)
- 2 green Cardamom powder
- ½ tsp rose essence
- 20 Almonds (soaked for 4 hrs, optional)
- Pinch of saffron
- Handful of unsalted roasted pistas (and cashews if you desire)
- khova/khoya for garnishing (optional)
- Air dry or sundry the bread for 3 to 4 hours or pan toasted till crisp, do not use moist bread or bread from the fridge directly as they tend to absorb lot of ghee and have to fry longer to make crispier.
- Skip this step if using condensed milk tin or want to make your own condensed milk. Grind soaked almonds with 3 tsps. Sugar, cardamom powder and ¼ cup milk to a very smooth paste.
- Soak saffron in 2 tbsps. hot milk. Add this to the 3 ½ cups milk and boil on a low flame till it reduces to almost 2 cups. Skip reducing the milk if using readymade condensed milk tin or pour the ground almond milk to the boiling milk to make thick milk.
- Continue to boil for 10 mins on a low flame. Keep stirring since the almond mix tends to get burnt very fast. Rabri is ready. Set aside to cool.
- Mix sugar with little water, just enough to immerse it. Boil and bring to a 1 string consistency. Switch off the flame. Add rose essence.
- Remove the brown edges and cut the bread diagonally, each slice into 2 or 4 as you desire. You can even use a cookie cutter to cut into various shapes.
- On a low flame deep fry the bread evenly till they turn golden and crispy. Alternately can tawa fry with ghee till they turn crispy. Set aside.
- Immerse these bread slices in the sugar syrup one after the other and place them in a serving plate.
- Pour the rabri over the bread slices and garnish with toasted pistas.
- Serve shahi tukra warm or chilled.
Step by step photos how to make shahi tukda or shahi tukra
1. Air dry or sun dry bread for 3 hours. This helps bread not to soak up ghee when fried. You can also pan toast it first and then use to deep fry. Bring 3 cups milk to a boil in a heavy bottom pot.
2. This one and the next 3 steps are optional. If you want your condensed milk to be ready under 5 minutes, follow these steps. Soak almonds for 4 to 5 hours, remove the skin. Blend them with 2 green cardamoms, little milk, sugar and a generous pinch of saffron/ kesar. I added sugar later to the milk directly.
3. The almond paste must be very smooth.
4. When the milk comes to a boil, add this paste.
5. Stir and cook on a medium flame.
6. Under 4 minutes, milk thickens and begins to smell aromatic. Switch off and set aside. Aromatic condensed rich milk is ready. If you have not used almonds, condense the milk until it thickens and reduces to half.
7. Trim the brown sides of the bread. Cut to triangles. Deep fry or tawa fry or bake the bread triangles. If tawa frying, smear ghee all over the bread and toast on a medium heat. Set aside. If making for festive occasions, i suggest deep frying. We need to fry bread to golden.
8. Add 1/3 cup sugar and little water to a wide pan to make sugar syrup.
9. Simmer it until it comes to a one string consistency. If you are a beginner, don’t worry much about the string. But make sure the syrup is a bit thick and not very thick. Switch off the stove. If you like you can add rose essence now.
10. Cool it a bit. Add bread slices and make sure syrup is coated well over the bread.
11. Place them on a serving dish. Any left over sugar syrup can be poured to the serving dish.
12. Pour the condensed milk all over the bread. Garnish with pistachios, almonds, nuts, saffron.
To make shahi tukda, do add some crumbled khoya/ mawa over the bread. Allow it to absorb for a while and serve.
You can also make individual servings by arranging bread in a deep plate. Add rabri to a small cup and nuts to a small bowl.