Sheer khurma recipe for Ramadan – Sheer korma or shir qurma is one of the delicious hyderabadi dessert made during the holy month of Ramadan. In most Hyderabadi homes or Iftar gatherings one can often find it on the Iftar menu. It is very popular in the South Indian city hyderabad, as popular as the hyderabadi mutton biryani and HALEEM. Sheer korma makes a great food to include in your Ramadan / Iftar meal as it is a good source of nutrients. This can be made using only dates, without using any refined sugar.
This Exotic rich dessert prepared using milk, dates,nuts and vermicelli has its roots from the Mughal era and is mostly prepared during the fasting days of RAMADAN. Dates have a lot of significance during the fasting days and is the first food that is consumed to break the fast. As dates are highly nutritious they make a great food to break the fasting and helps keep the mind & body rejuvenated.
Find Sheer khurma recipe below
Sheer khurma recipe | Sheer korma for Ramadan or Ramzan
A delicious hyderabadi dessert made with seviyan, milk, dates and nuts. This is quick dessert that's made during the month of ramadan.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients to make sheer khurma
- 5 cups milk full fat or whole milk
- 75 grams vermicelli or seviyan
- 2 ½ tbsp sugar (optional, replace with mashed soft dates)
- ½ cup chopped dates or replace with 4 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup nuts (cashews, pista, chironji, badam)
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2 to 4 tbsps ghee (or as needed)
- 1/8 tsp elaichi or cardamom powder
- 1 tsp rose water (optional)
- few saffron strands optional
How to make the recipe
Preparation for sheer khurma
Dry roast nuts in ghee until golden. Saute raisins as well and set aside.
In the same pan, fry vermicelli till golden. Set this aside as well.
Bring milk to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes stirring often to prevent burning.
Add dates to a bowl and add milk to soak them. Set aside.
How to make sheer khurma
Add vermicelli to the boiling milk and cook until done.
Add sugar and stir.
Add cardamom powder. Stir well. Off the heat and add dates along with milk.
Add nuts and raisins along with ghee.
Serve sheer khurma warm or chilled.
How to make sheer khurma recipe for ramadan
1. Bring 5 cups milk to a boil on a medium flame in a heavy bottom pan or nonstick pot.
2. Add ghee to a hot pan and fry nuts until lightly golden. Add raisins towards the end. You can use cashews, pistas, almonds, chironji. Set these aside.
3. Fry vermicelli or seviyan in ghee until golden. Set aside. You can also break them before frying.
4. Allow the milk to simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. This helps to thicken the milk.
5. While the milk simmers, chop and add dates to a bowl. I cut each date to 4 to 6 pieces. I used half cup chopped dates. You can add more or less to suit your liking. This quantity was good enough.
6. This step is optional. Pour little boiling milk to the bowl to immerse the dates. This step helps to make the dates softer, juicier and they taste good as well. The flavor and nutrition of dates is also preserved since they are not cooked. If using saffron, you can soak them now in a small bowl.
7. Add the roasted vermicelli and stir. Cook and keep stirring to prevent burning.
8. When the vermicelli is cooked, add sugar. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. You can skip adding sugar, just mash some dates and use up here.
9. Add cardamom / elaichi powder. You can also add rose water or condensed milk or soaked saffron strands for added flavor. If adding condensed milk you can skip adding sugar at the previous step. Switch off the stove.
10. Add the dates along with milk. Stir well.
11. Now you will find the sheer korma thick. Add all the fried nuts along with raisins.
Serve warm or chilled.