Soya chunks biryani or meal maker biryani is one of the protein enriched easy biryani that one can make. It can be served without any side dish, however a simple onion raita or a mint raita also goes well with this.
Soya chunks biryani can be made in a pressure cooker or in a pot, however you are comfortable. To make a pulao, just eliminate the biryani masala powder and coriander leaves from the recipe, you will be left with a great tasting pulao rice. This can be made quickly anytime either for lunch or dinner and also goes well in office lunch box or school box. This recipe is roughly adapted from the most flavorful veg biryani recipe on this blog.
Soya chunks biryani recipe below
Soya chunks biryani recipe | Meal maker biryani recipe | Soya biryani
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 heaped cup basmathi rice
- ½ cup soya chunks
- 2 tbsp. Curd or 3 tbsp. thick coconut milk
- oil as needed
- salt as needed
- ¾ to 1 tsp. garam masala or biryani masala powder (adjust the quantity as needed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 2 green cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 2 “cinnamon stick
- 1 small strand mace
- ¼ tsp shahi jeera
- few pepper corn
To grind and marinate with 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ cup mint leaves pudina
- ¼ cup coriander leaves (updated)
- 1 to 2 green chilies
- 1 “ginger pieces
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- salt to taste
How to make the recipe
Soak soya chunks in warm water till they soften, squeeze off the excess water,
Wash with cold water and squeeze to remove excess water, repeat this twice. Make sure there is no water left in the chunks.
Grind to a smooth paste (as smooth as possible) the ingredients listed under to grind. Add lemon juice to this.
Marinate the soya chunks with this paste. Set aside for at least 15 to 30 mins.
Soak rice for 15 mins and drain off the water and set aside.
Heat oil in a deep pan or pressure pan. Add dry spices and sauté till you get an aroma for about a minute.
Add the marinated soya chunks along with the grinded paste. Fry for 2 mins on a medium flame. This gets burnt very fast so take care.
Add curd or coconut milk and turmeric, mix well. Now the chunks begin to release moisture.
Keep stirring. Cook till the mixture begins to leave the pan. Takes around 2 to 3 mins if done on a medium flame.
Add biryani masala powder and water. Bring the water to boil
When the water comes to boil, add salt and rice. Adjust salt.
Cook without covering till no water is left in the pan. Refer pic.
Close the pan with a tight lid and cook on a low flame for 3 to 5 mins. If you are using a pressure pan, close the lid and put on the weight and cook for exactly 5 to 7 mins on the lowest flame. Do not let the cooker whistle. If you do not have a tight lid, spread a moist thick kitchen cloth around the mouth of the pan and close the lid. Make sure that no steam escapes.
Do not open the lid for at least 15 mins.
Serve soya chunks biryani with any raita of your choice.
1 ½ tbsp. Smooth cashew paste (optional)
soya chunks biryani recipe with step by step photos
1. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add soya chunks and leave them to soften. Rinse them and squeeze off the excess water. Repeat washing and squeezing.
2. Blend the ingredients mentioned under to grind and make a paste.
3. Marinate soya chunks with the paste, lemon juice and set side for 15 to 30 minutes.
4. Add oil to a pan or pressure cooker and heat it. Fry the spices for a minute.
5. Add marinated chunks and fry for about 2 minutes.
6. Add curd or coconut milk and turmeric. Stir and cook till the mixture begins to leave the sides for about 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add biryani masala powder. Stir it. Pour water.
8. Add rice and cook till all the water evaporates.
9. Cover it with a tight lid and cook on a low flame for about 5 to 6 minutes. For pressure cooker, switch off before the cooker whistles.
Serve soya chunks biryani/ pulao with a onion raita or mint raita.