Soya chunks curry recipe or meal maker curry recipe to accompany rice, biryani, chapathi, pulao. Soya chunks also called as meal maker or soya nuggets are used widely in the Indian food as they are considered healthy, protein rich, a good alternate to those who want to refrain from eating meat. I often make a simple soya chunks stir fry that goes great with rice or chapathi and some times soya chunks fried rice for a quick meal.
Sharing a soya chunks curry or gravy recipe that can be had as a side dish for biryani, chapathi, pulao, kuska rice or even with plain rice. The color of your gravy will differ based on the kind of ingredients or masala used.
To prepare a north Indian style meal maker masala, use some kasuri methi and amchur powder at the last stage, skip the curry leaves and mustard from step 2. Either ways the curry tastes delicious.
For more Soya chunks recipes or meal maker recipe, check
Soya chunks kurma
Soya chunks stir fry
Seal maker fried rice
Soya chunks biryani
Soya kheema drumstick curry
Meal maker keema curry
Beans soya kheema masala
Soya paneer bhurji recipe
Soya chunks curry recipe or meal maker curry recipe
Soya chunks curry recipe | meal maker curry | soya chunks recipes
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 cup soya chunks / meal maker / soya nuggets (heaped cup)
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Pinch of mustard (optional)
- ¼ tsp. of cumin
- 1 green chili slit
- 1 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala (1/2 tsp coriander powder if you garam masala is strong)
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Oil and salt as needed
- Pinch of hing
- 2 to matoes
- 2 to 3 tbsp. Coconut or magaz seeds (optional) (refer notes)
How to make the recipe
Bring 3 cups water to a boil, switch off the stove. Add soya chunks and leave them in hot water till they soften. Debris settles down, discard the water and squeeze off the water. Rinse them in cold water and repeat squeezing off the excess water. Set this aside for later use. If you are using large chunks you can cut each one to two
Add oil to a pan, add mustard cumin when they begin to splutter add hing, and curry leaves, onions and green chilies. Fry till the onions turn golden.
While the onions fry, grind the tomatoes and coconut or magaz.
Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears
Add the grinded tomatoes and coconut.
Fry till it begins to leave the sides of the pan.
Add red chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder, soya chunks and salt.
Fry for 3 minutes stirring often, till the meal maker are coated well in the masala
Pour water just enough to make a thick gravy.
Bring the water to a boil and cover and cook on a low flame for about 5 to 8 minutes, till soya chunks are cooked well. The oil begins to float on top.
Garnish soya chunks curry with coriander leaves.
If you do not like to use coconut , use more onions or magaz seeds to get a good amount of gravy
How to make soya chunks curry recipe or soya nuggets curry
1. Bring water to a boil in a large pot, add soya chunks, let them sit till they turn soft. Do not leave them for unlimited time , some brands of chunks turn soggy . Squeeze off the excess water and rinse them in fresh water and squeeze again. Repeat the rinse and squeezing off cycle for few times to remove the frothy liquid, otherwise they may upset the tummy sometimes. Keep these aside in a bowl.
2.Add oil to a pan, add cumin and mustard, when they begin to splutter, add curry leaves, chili and onions. Fry till the onions turn golden.
3. while the onions fry, grind together tomatoes and coconut or magaz seeds to a smooth paste without adding water. set this aside.
4. Add ginger garlic paste, fry till the raw smell goes away.
5. Pour the tomato mix from the blender jar.
6. Fry till the onion tomato mixture begins to leave the sides of the pan. Add soya chunks, red chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric and salt. Mix well.
7. Fry till the meal maker blend well with the mixture for about 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Pour water enough to make a thick gravy, Cover and cook till the meal maker are soft cooked for about 5 to 8 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves
Serve meal maker curry with biryani, pulao, chapathi or rice.