Soya pakora recipe – Soya chunks, soya nuggets or meal maker are the different names to textured vegetable protein. These soya pakoda are very easy to make for a tea time or evening snack. No chopping onions or any other veggies as we do for other pakora recipes like onion pakora or mixed veg pakora. They turn crunchy once fried and have a very soft texture inside and do not soak up much oil.
Soya pakora can be enjoyed with a cup of tea or with chutney or sauce. Since soya nuggets are processed food, it is good to consume them in moderation.
You can find more soya chunks or meal maker recipes here
How to make soya pakora recipe
1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Switch off. Add soya chunks and allow to rest until they soften. Squeeze them up gently to get rid of the frothy water. Repeat the rinse with cold water at least twice.
2. Transfer them to a bowl. There are 2 ways you can make these. One way is to just add all the other ingredients and sprinkle some water and mix up to coat them well with flour.
3. I went the other way by making the batter. Add besan/ chickpea flour, ginger garlic paste, ajwain, turmeric, salt, garam masala, red chili powder and rice flour. You can also add green chili and onion paste. Mix these very well.
4. Add water just as needed.
5. Make a thick batter. Check the salt and spices. Add the soya one after the other to the batter.
6. Heat oil as needed. When the oil is hot enough, lift them with a spoon and drop to hot oil. Fry until golden. These get cooked very fast, keep an eye and do not burn.
7. Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
Serve soya pakora hot with tea or any chutney.
Soya pakora recipe | Meal maker pakoda using soya nuggets
- 1 cup soya nuggets / meal maker
- half tsp garam masala
- half tsp red chilli powder or paste from 2 green chillies
- salt as needed
- 4 tbsp of besan/ chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- half tsp ginger garlic paste
- half tsp carom seeds / ajwain
- A generous pinch of turmeric / haldi
- water as needed
- 2 tbsps of onion in paste form (optional)
- Oil for frying
- Heat 4 cups of water to a boil. Switch off the stove and add the soya nuggets.
- Squeeze and drain off the water. Repeat rinsing twice in cold water and drain completely.
- Add all the other ingredients to a bowl except water and oil. Add water little by little and make a thick batter.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is just hot enough, reduce the flame to medium. Drop the soya nuggets with spoon. Deep fry until golden, stirring often.
- Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
- Serve hot with chutney or tea.