Stuffed capsicum recipe – These potato stuffed bells peppers taste delicious and go very well as a side in a meal. They can also be eaten alone as a evening snack or as a starter in parties. They are healthy as they are pan fried and loaded with veggies. You can use any kind of bell peppers – large or tinker bell peppers.
To make the stuffing, i have used potatoes, peas and carrot. Veggies like Cauliflower, baby corn, sweet corn or mushrooms can also be used. A handful of roasted cashews or peanuts can also be added to the stuffing to add crunch.
These potato stuffed bell peppers can also be grilled in the oven which is a good option when making in large quantity. Details mentioned below.
Spiced potato stuffed capsicum recipe
Stuffed capsicum recipe | potato stuffed bell peppers | bharwan simla mirch
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 3 to 4 medium capsicums (6 if tinker bell)
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 1 medium carrot
- handful of peas
- ¾ + ¾ tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves or 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 large onion sliced
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- generous pinch of kasuri methi
- salt as needed
- coriander leaves
- chaat masala powder as needed (optional)
How to make the recipe
Steam or boil veggies without making them mushy.
Cut the tops of the bell peppers and deseed them.
Saute cumin and garlic in oil.
Fry onions until golden.
Add chili powder, garam masala, kasuri methi. Saute for 1 min.
Add steamed veggies and mash them. Add salt and mix everything well.
Add coriander leaves and mix.
Stuff the capsicums with this potato masala and fry in ¾ tbsp oil. Cover the pan and cook them until done on a low flame.
To bake them preheat the oven at 160 C and bake for 8 to 15 mins depending on the size of capsicums.
For more vegetarian side dishes you can check this collection of veg curries.
How to make stuffed capsicum recipe
1. Boil or steam the veggies. I prefer to steam the potatoes first.
2. When the potatoes are 3/4th cooked, i add carrots and peas to the steam basket. Steam for a little longer until just cooked.
3. Wash the capsicums. Small to medium sized ones work better, else they will have to be cut before serving.
4. Cut off the tops. I also cut slightly on the bottom for frying them conveniently.
5. Deseed them gently.
6. Heat a pan with oil. Fry cumin and garlic until the garlic smells good.
7. Add sliced onions. I also added the tiny chunks of capsicum which i got after cutting the top.
8. When the onions turn golden, add red chili powder,garam masala or any other spice powder and crushed kasuri methi.
9. Saute just for a minute.
10. Add the steamed veggies and chopped coriander leaves.
11. Mash them well. Add salt as needed. Mix with the onion masala.
12. Stuff the capsicum.
13. Heat the pan with oil. Add the stuffed peppers.
14. Cover and cook on a medium to low flame until the capsicum is half cooked or fully cooked to suit your taste. These can be grilled in a preheated oven at 160 C for 8 to 15 mins.
15. Sprinkle very little chaat masala mixed with a pinch of salt.
Serve them warm.