Potato fry recipe or aloo fry recipe. Learn to make easy potato fry in 25 minutes with a quick video and step by step photos. Potato is a versatile vegetable and can be used to prepare many dishes. I also make other potato recipes like aloo curry, South Indian aloo kurma, quick potato sagu, simple aloo rice, biryani and potato sandwich.
A simple potato fry is very easy to prepare and makes a Indian meal special. Lightly spiced with red chili powder and light garam masala, this aloo fry has great taste and flavor. Accompany this with tomato rasam and plain rice, you will love it.
Video of potato fry recipe – Aloo stir fry
Potato fry recipe or aloo fry recipe below
Potato fry recipe | Aloo fry recipe | how to make potato fry recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 cup potatoes (cubed)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves chopped or crushed
- ¼ tsp. mustard
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- ½ tsp urad dal
- pinch hing or asafoetida
- 2 pinches turmeric or haldi
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala or sambar powder
- 1 ½ tbsp oil or as needed
- salt as needed
How to make the recipe
Wash potatoes and peel. Cube to small bite sizes. Keep them in a bowl of water.
Add oil to a hot pan or tawa. Add cumin, mustard and dals. Fry dal till golden.
Add curry leaves and garlic.
When the garlic is lightly fried, add potatoes and turmeric.
Fry for about 3 minutes. Lower the flame, Cover and cook till the potatoes are done. Stir in between to prevent burning. If needed sprinkle some water in between.
When the potatoes are roasted and cooked well, add chili powder, salt and garam masala.
Toss everything well and fry for a minute or two to blend well. Serve aloo fry with rice and rasam.
How to make potato fry recipe
1. Heat a pan with oil, add mustard, cumin and urad dal, when the dal gets lightly roasted add red chili, garlic and curry leaves. If you don’t have curry leaves you can use pudina.
2. Add potatoes and turmeric.
3. Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Simmer or lower the flame. Cook covered till the potatoes are soft cooked. If needed you can sprinkle little water and cook.
5. Add red chili powder and garam masala.
6. Mix and fry for few more minutes, till the chili powder blends well with potatoes.
Serve aloo fry with rice and rasam.