Tomato pappu recipe – Tomato dal is one of the most cooked pappu varieties or dal recipes from Andhra cuisine. It is usually cooked with tuvar / toor dal, though it varies on individual’s choice. Tomato and dal are cooked together till mushy and then tempered with ghee or oil similar to dal tadka. Some folks cook dal alone to smooth first and then saute tomatoes along with spices in oil, cook it till mushy and then pour the dal to this similar to the dal fry recipe.
To make tomato pappu , I use toor dal and little bit of moong dal to get a smooth and creamy texture. We do not add onions to this dal as it gives a different taste which may not be liked by many.
If prepared in monsoon we prefer to use fresh grated ginger instead of garlic. However one of them can be used depending on your choice. You can even add dried mango pieces.
Tomato pappu recipe or tomato dal
Tomato pappu recipe | Tomato dal recipe | Andhra pappu recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- ½ cup pigeon peas ( kandi pappu or toor dal)
- ¼ cup skinned mung beans (moong dal or pesara pappu)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped finely)
- 1 onion (sliced (optional))
- 2 green chilies slit or chopped
- ½ tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- Salt as needed
- 1.5 tbsp. Ghee (or oil)
- 10 curry leaves
- ¼ tsp. Cumin (jeera)
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¾ tsp. ginger garlic paste (or garlic cloves 3)
- 2 red chilies (broken)
- ½ to 3/4 tsp chilli powder
- Pinch asafoetidia (or hing)
- 1 tsp tamarind soaked in water
- Wash dal at least twice.
- Pressure cook dal, chopped tomatoes, green chilies with 1 ½ cups water for 2 whistles if cooking directly in the cooker. If you add dal to another utensil and place it in pressure cooker, then cook for 3 whistles on a medium flame. You can also add onions and chilli powder while cooking dal.
- Once the pressure goes down, add salt, turmeric and mash the dal to smooth. If using tamarind, you can add now. To adjust the consistency you can very well add more water. If your dal is runny, you can evaporate the water by cooking further without lid
- Heat a pan with ghee or oil, add cumin, mustard. When they begin to splutter, add red chilies, ginger/ garlic, curry leaves. If needed you can add more green chili as well. Fry till the leaves turn crisp. Off the heat. Add hing and turmeric. Mix well
- Pour this to the mashed tomato pappu. Some folks like to cook further for few minutes to get a thick flavorful dal. Mix and serve hot with rice or chapathi.
How to make andhra tomato pappu or tomato dal recipe
1. To make tomato pappu, most people prefer only toor dal / kandi pappu, but a combination of moong and toor dal or only moong dal also can be used.
2. Wash dal till the water runs clear and add chopped tomatoes and chilies. If you like to use onions and chilli powder you can add it now as well. But the taste of onions & chilli powder in tomato dal may not go well with everyone.
3. Add 1.5 to 2 cups water and cook till smooth. If cooking in pressure cooker, you can cook it for one to 3 whistles depending on the brand of cooker you use.
4. When cooked to smooth, mash it well and add turmeric and salt. If you like to use tamarind, add the soaked tamarind now. Stir and continue to cook till we season. I do not use tamarind since the sourness from tomatoes is enough for our taste buds.
5. Pour ghee or oil in a pan, add cumin, mustard, broken red chilli, green chilli, garlic or ginger. Saute until the red chilli turns crisp, then lower the flame and add curry leaves. When they entire mixture begins to splutter add turmeric and hing. You can also add little red chili powder. Pour this to the cooked tomato pappu and stir. Cook for 5 minutes. Switch off.
Serve andhra tomato pappu with rice, pickle and papad or with roti and a vegetable salad.