Tomato pickle recipe – easy, quick and instant pickle recipe made using ripe tomatoes. This pickle goes well with any breakfasts, rice or paratha. Not a traditional recipe, but it yields a good tomato pickle that is hot and tangy. Tomato pickle can be made using sun dried tomatoes or salted tomatoes too. The process is quite lengthy but the shelf life is almost an year. It may not be possible to make pickle in such lengthy process for many of us, then this instant recipe comes handy.
I have already shared a tomato pickle recipe here, but that is a different method and uses garlic and tamarind. The tomato pickle recipe I am sharing now is made without garlic but ginger is used to flavor the pickle. Tomato and ginger go great in pickle and specially during winter it is good to include ginger.
Instant tomato pickle recipe below
Tomato pickle recipe | How to make easy instant tomato pickle recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 500 grams or ½ kg ripe tomatoes chopped
- 4 to 5 tbsp byadgi red chili powder (reduce if using others)
- 3 tbsp. oil (45 ml oil)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¾ tsp methi powder/ fenugreek powder or 1 tsp seeds
- 1 tsp mustard powder or 2 tsp mustard
- salt as needed
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp ginger chopped finely
- hing a pinch
How to make the recipe
Dry roast methi seeds until you begin to smell good. Off the stove keep them aside. To the hot pan add mustard. Cool these and powder separately. Crackle mustard in hot oil. Fry ginger in oil for 2 to 3 minutes. Fry red chili , curry leaves until crisp. Sprinkle hing. Set this aside to a bowl along with oil.
Cook tomatoes in the same pan with salt added.
Cover and cook until the tomatoes mash up well to soft textute.
Add chili powder, turmeric. Use mustard powder and methi powder to suit your taste.
Mix well and add the seasoning that we set aside.
Mix and cook until the oil separates. Adjust salt or spice as desired.
Cool and store it in a glass jar that is dry.
Handle with moist free spoons.
methi powder and mustard powder has to be added to suit your taste. It also depends on the amount of tartness that comes from your tomatoes. I add up the amount i mentioned in the recipe, sometimes i use even more than that. So you can make a bit more of the powder and keep.
How to make instant tomato pickle recipe – step by step photos
1. Dry roast 1 tsp methi seeds, switch off the stove. Set them aside. Add mustard to the hot pan. Cool and powder them separately. I suggest to make powder separately as you can adjust them to suit your taste.
2. For the tempering, heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds.
3. When they begin to crackle, add chopped ginger. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add curry leaves, red chili and hing. I forgot to use red chilli.
5. When the curry leaves turn crisp, transfer the mix to a bowl along with oil. Empty the pan.
6. Add tomatoes and salt.
7. Stir, cover and cook.
8. When they turn soft and completely mushy, mash them well with a spatula.
9. Add chili powder, turmeric. Please refer notes to know how much methi and mustard powder to add at this step.
10. Mix well. Taste and add more salt or chili powder if needed. Then add the seasoning along with oil that we had set aside.
11. Mix and continue to cook on a medium flame until the moisture evaporates and pickle thickens. To have a good shelf life for about a month you will have to cook until the oil begins to separate. I just cooked it for about 5 minutes, since i made it to use up with in the next 3 to 4 days.
Cool this completely and store in a airtight clean dry glass or ceramic jar. Handle with moist free spoons and hands for better shelf life.