Vangi bath recipe with homemade vangi bath powder. Vangi bath is a unique tasting brinjal rice recipe from karnataka cuisine. It is popular in South India like tawa pulao in mumbai. It is easy to make as easy as even bachelors can make it. It barely takes 10 to 15 mins if you have the white rice cooked already. Brinjals (egg plant) is cooked to soft and then seasoned with spice powder called as vangi bath powder.
There are many brands selling ready powder, i have only tried using MTR which is well known for spice powders in the market. However my today’s recipe is along with the homemade vangi bath powder which can be prepared ahead and refrigerated for few months.
There are so many variations to making vangee bath. This recipe comes from our Hassan based chef, who used to cook for us during our stay in Bangalore. I have tasted other versions too and can conclude that this is the best recipe, making you feel that the taste of eggplant is unique and great.
The powder tastes almost like the MTR powder. But MTR doesn’t use channa dal, which I use since I feel it gives an extra flavor. I usually make this when I have few brinjals left and they are not enough to make any side dish.
karnataka style vangi bath recipe below
Vangi bath recipe | How to make vangi bath powder | Brinjal rice recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 2 cups raw rice
- 3 tbsp Oil or as needed
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 green chili slit (optional)
- 250 grams brinjals or baingan or eggplant
- ½ cup Green peas or cashews as needed (optional)
- Lemon juice as needed
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Dry coconut (optional, adds flavor and taste)
Spices for seasoning (or curry leaves, mustard, cumin, channa dal, urad dal)
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta
- 3 green cardamoms or elaichi
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
make vangi bath powder or use MTR vangibath powder
- 4 to 5 red chilies
- 2 tbsp. Coriander seeds or daniya
- 1 tbsp. channa dal or bengal gram
- ½ tbsp. urad dal or skinned black gram
- 1 tsp cumin or jeera
- ½ tsp methi seeds or fenugreek seeds
- 4 cloves or laung
- 1 small cinnamon stick or dalchini
How to make the recipe
Preparation for vangi bath
Wash and cook rice aldente in the usual way. Do not make the rice mushy. Cool this completely.
Dry roast the ingredients one after the other for vangi bath. Cool and powder them. Keep this aside.
How to make vangi bath
Add oil to a hot pan. Add dry spices and saute till they sizzle. Add cashews and fry until golden.
Fry green chilies and onions till they turn golden or transparent.
Add chopped brinjal, green peas and sprinkle salt, turmeric. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
Cook covered until the brinjals are soft cooked.
Time to add in the vangi bath powder and fry till it begins to smell good. You can sprinkle 1 to 2 tbsp. water to make the mixture moist. This is optional.
Switch off the heat, add rice and lemon juice.
Mix up everything well, adjust salt and lemon juice.
Serve vangi bath hot or cold wit some papads and curd.
How to make vangibath powder
1. Dry roast coriander seeds first and set aside. Fry the dals until half done, then add red chilies, cloves, cinnamon, and cumin. Switch off the stove.
2. Cool the ingredients and powder it. This powder can be used for 2 to 2.5 cups raw rice that serves 4 to 5 people. If you are making only 2 servings, you can scale down the ingredients for vangi bath powder.
Preparation for brinjal rice or vangi bath recipe
1. Wash and cook rice al dente in the usual way. Cool completely. Wash and cut brinjals and add them to a bowl of salted water. Set this aside.
2. Next heat oil in a wide heavy bottom pan. Add all the dry spices and sauté for a min. If using cashews add them now, fry for 2 to 3 mins.
3. Add green chili and onions. Then fry till they turn translucent.
4. Add brinjal and green peas. Then sprinkle salt. Fry for 2 to 3 mins.
5. Cover and cook till the brinjals are done completely.
6.Add the spice powder.
How to make brinjal rice or vangi bath recipe
8. Mix well. Fry till you get a nice aroma.
9. If you like slightly moist rice, you can sprinkle 2 tbsp water. Then saute for 2 minutes. The mixture turns moist. This step is optional.
7. Next add rice and lemon juice as well. I also prefer a bit of olive oil. Mix well. Adjust salt as needed.
Garnish brinjal rice with coriander leaves.
Serve with papad and raita.