Veg cutlet recipe with green chutney – Simple, easy and delicious vegetable cutlet that can be served for a evening snack with a chutney or dip. A green chutney or a sauce goes best with these. These cutlets can be baked, deep fried or shallow fried to suit one’s diet and taste. These are made using a combination of veggies with potato as the base for binding. Folks having diet restrictions towards consumption of potatoes can use sweet potato or yam.
These can also be used as patties to make Veg burger. You can also add in some soya granules to lend a great texture. These are best served hot or warm.
Veg cutlet recipe card below
Veg cutlet recipe | Vegetable cutlet recipe | How to make cutlet
Mixed veg cutlet is a quick snack recipe served as a tea snack. These can also be used to make veg burger. Veg cutlet are made with veggies like potatoes, peas, beans and carrots. These are pan fried and are healthy.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
veggies for cutlet
- 2 cups potatoes cubed (2 large) (or sweet potatoes or yam)
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 cup carrot cubed (1 large)
- ½ cup beans chopped (6 to 8)
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves
- salt as needed
- ¾ tsp ginger grated
- 1 to 2 green chilies finely chopped
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- 6 tbsp bread crumbs or ½ cup thick poha or roasted besan
- 2 tbsp besan or chickpea flour or rice flour or corn flour
- 4 tbsp oil or as needed
How to make the recipe
Preparation for cutlet
Steam or boil veggies until just done. I pressure cooked all the veggies together for 2 whistles on a medium heat with half cup water.
Drain any excess moisture if left and use up in other ways.
Mash the veggies well. Add bread crumbs or powdered poha, salt, ginger, garam masala and chilies as well to the veggies.
Mix everything well. It must be a non sticky dough. If needed, add more bread crumbs or poha to make it non sticky.
How to make veg cutlet
Divide the dough to 13 to 14 parts, Make thick patties and set aside.
Add besan or rice flour to a small mixing bowl. Pour water just enough to make a slightly thin batter.
Next dip each patty in the batter on both the sides.
Place them on the bread crumbs. Place them aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
Lastly heat 2 to 3 tsp oil for shallow frying. Fry them on both the side until golden and crisp.
Serve veg cutlet with chutney or sauce.
Method to make green chutney
To make green chutney, we need 1 cup coriander leaves, ½ cup mint leaves / pudina, 1 tbsp fried gram / dalia,½ to ¾ tsp cumin,Salt as needed, 2 to 4 hot green chilies, ¼ inch ginger, 2 to 3 medium sized garlic cloves, Lemon juice as needed.
Blend all the ingredients together with 2 tbsps water. Lastly add lemon juice and mix. Serve veg cutlet with green chutney.
Veg cutlet recipe – Preparation
1. Firstly chop beans, carrots and potatoes to small cubes. You can also use cauliflower, beets and cabbage. I used green peas as well.
2. Steam them together until just done in a cooker or steamer. They must be soft cooked and firm but must not be mushy or soggy. If cooked in a pot, drain them up in a colander completely if any moisture is left. If the veggies have lot of moisture in them they soak up lot of oil and do not bind well.
3. Next mash them well.
4. Add coriander leaves, green chilies, garam masala, cumin and ginger paste. Mix everything well.
5. Add bread crumbs. I prefer to use powdered poha. I used thick variety red poha. Even white poha can be used. It absorbs moisture from the veggies better than bread crumbs and is a healthier option.
How to make vegetable cutlet
6. Mix everything well. The mixture should be non sticky and must not be soggy. Take small portion of this and make patties.
7. Next make a thin batter using 2 tbsp of besan or rice flour. Patty need not be coated with much batter. If it becomes moist it is just enough.
8. Place it on the bread crumbs. Make sure the patty is coated with bread crumbs on both the sides. You can also use coarsely ground thick variety poha or crushed cornflakes for this.
9. Repeat doing this for all the patties and place them on a plate. Leave this aside for about 5 to 10 minutes. This helps the bread crumbs to stick well to the patties.
10. Heat oil in a small pan. Shallow fry or bake them. I used 3 tsps oil for every batch of 5 patties. You can reduce this quantity to 2 tsps.
11. Lastly flip them to the other side and fry until golden.
Serve veg cutlet with green chutney or any dip.