Veg makhanwala recipe or vegetable makhani recipe is a north indian mixed vegetable gravy that we often get to see in restaurants. It is served with roti, naan or kulcha and can also be paired with a pulao or biryani.
Veg makhanwala recipe, I am sharing is roughly been adapted from murgh makhani, the best Butter chicken, I had ever made. The vegetarian version is very simple and it gets done under 25 minutes.
To make the veg makhanwala recipe, mixed vegetables are cooked in a delicious onion tomato gravy and then milk cream is added to it to make it creamy. This is a no onion no garlic version of the vegetable makhani and to add volume to the gravy you can use onions too. I have not used paneer, you can as well use few chunks of paneer, if you like.
Veg makhanwala recipe, vegetable makhani recipe
- 2 to 2 ½ cups of chopped mixed vegetables (beans, peas, carrots, potatoes, bell pepper and cauliflower)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tsp. ginger or ginger garlic paste
- One thin 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamoms
- ½ tsp, cumin or shahi jeera
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Generous pinch of methi powder (fenugreek seeds powder) (optional)
- 1 green chilies slit
- 4 large tomatoes (pureed in the blender and filtered to remove skin and seeds)
- ½ to 1 tsp red chili powder (adjust to suit your taste and color)
- 8 blanched and soaked almonds or 10 cashews or 2 tbsps. roasted magaz seeds(refer notes)
- ½ tsp. garam masala powder
- ½ tbsp. kasuri methi
- ¼ tbsp. sugar
- 80 to 100 ml cream
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Wash and chop vegetables to the desired sizes. Puree the tomatoes in a blender, filter and remove the skin and seeds. Add almonds or cashews or magaz seeds to a blender and powder them, add very little water and blend to make thick milk or paste. Do not add too much water while grinding this will make the gravy very thin.
- Add 1 tbsp. butter to a pan and fry the vegetables till they are partially cooked or softened. Set these aside.
- To the same pan, add the rest of the butter, add the cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves and cardamoms. Saute till they sizzle.
- Add ginger or ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Pour the tomato puree, red chili powder and fry till the tomato puree thickens and begins to leave the sides.
- Pour water just enough to make a good gravy, bring it to a boil.
- Add fried vegetables, salt, kasuri methi and garam masala. Cook till the veggies are soft cooked.
- Pour the cashew or almond milk or paste, stir well and cook till the gravy thickens, after adding cream the gravy thins up, so let the gravy thicken at this stage.
- Pour cream and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. If you are worried that your gravy will curdle, do not cook after adding the cream.
For more North Indian veg recipes, check
paneer butter masala
paneer tikka masala
punjabi chole masala
Veg makhanwala recipe, vegetable makhani with step by step pictures
1. Fry vegetables in one tablespoon butter till they are half cooked. Stir constantly. Set these aside.
2. Add another tablespoon butter to the pan, add bay leaf, cumin,cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and allow them to sizzle. Add ginger paste and fry till the raw smell disappears
3. Pour the tomato puree and add red chili powder
4. Cook till the puree thickens and begins to leave the sides of the pan.
5. Pour 1 cup water or as needed and bring it to a boil
6. Add vegetables, garam masala, kasuri methi and salt. Stir and cook till the veggies are soft cooked.
7. Add the almond paste or milk and cook till the gravy thickens. Make sure the gravy thickens. If the gravy is too runny, evaporate on a high flame.
8. Pour cream and stir. Switch off the stove.
Garnish with coriander leaves.