Veg pizza recipe using whole wheat flour or atta – This Veggie Lovers Pizza is the only kind of pizza that has fascinated my kids for years. For us a striking pizza is one that has a medium crust, loaded with veggies and a good amount of cheese melting over. Iam sharing my version of the homemade Veggie Lovers Pizza inspired from pizzahut, which is rightly the one we prefer.
The choice of a perfect pizza base might differ from each one of us, for us it should have slightly crusty exterior, soft and fluffy inside and then tasty too. I experiment with many different combinations of flours and my most opted combo is a mix of unbleached white flour and whole wheat flour in equal proportions. It yields a perfect base that is soft inside with a crispy exterior if the basic dough making steps are followed correctly. You can also make this with only plain flour / maida.
This time I have used only white whole wheat flour which also yields very good results. If using atta it is a good choice to make a thin crust as it tastes and gets baked better.
Veg pizza recipe card below
- 2 to 3 tbsps. Pizza sauce (or as needed, link in step by step method)
- 1 ½ cup flour (whole wheat flour or ¾ cup plain flour, ¾ cup wheat flour or white whole wheat flour)
- Salt as needed (about ¼ tsp)
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Yeast
- 1 ½ tbsp. olive oil
- ¾ cup warm water (105 to 110F or 40 to 43 C)
- 1 cup of chopped or sliced veggies (bell peppers, thin slices of mushrooms, red onions, deseeded tomatoes, sliced olives and pine apple)
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese as needed (vegetarians choose cheese made using non-animal rennet)
- ¼ tsp. Basil, Oregano, coarsely crushed pepper powder
- ¾ to 1 tbsp. olive oil to toss the veggies
- Salt as needed
- Add luke warm water to a warm bowl and add sugar and yeast. Stir well and allow to proof for 10 to 15 mins. If the yeast doesn't proof discard and start with fresh water & yeast.
- If the yeast proofs well, then add the flour, salt and oil and mix. If needed add more water and make a dough.
- Knead the dough for about 5 to 7 mins until soft, elastic and pliable.
- Cover it and set aside until it rises and doubles in size. It may take about 1 to 2 hours depending on the temperature.
- You can use a store bought pizza sauce or use one from this blog. You can check the link mentioned in step by step instructions for my pizza sauce recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 220 C for at least 20 mins. If you have a pizza stone heat it.
- You will be able to make 2 - 6 inch medium crust pizza or 1 - 9 thick crust pizza. So Divide the dough to 1 to 2 parts to suit your choice.
- Sprinkle some corn meal on the tray and flatten the ball. Add few drops of oil and begin to spread with your fingers to make a thin crust pizza base as whole wheat flour doesn't taste good if you make a thick pizza base.
- If making thick then bake it for about 5 to 7 mins.
- Then smear pizza sauce as desired. Add all the veggies.
- Sprinkle grated cheese and then the herbs.
- Bake for 10 to 12 mins or until the cheese turns golden.
- Slice and serve veg pizza hot.
How to make veg pizza recipe at home
1. Take ¾ cup warm water in a bowl. Using hot water will kill the yeast and becomes inactive. So make sure you use only warm water about 105 F to 110 F. Add sugar.
2. Stir in yeast.
3. Wait till it turns frothy for about 5 to 10 mins. Within this time, the yeast has to proof well turning frothy otherwise it means the yeast is not active. Discard and try with fresh yeast.
4. Add flour. You can use only plain flour/ maida or half plain flour and half whole wheat flour. You can also mix the dough in a food processor or a kitchen aid. Add the flour and salt to the processor, then the proofed yeast.
5. Add salt and oil. Mix it well.
6. Knead it well till you see a soft & elastic dough. If the dough turns sticky, you may add a few tbsps. Of flour and knead. If you have used only plain flour, when you poke the dough with your finger, it will bounce back. If it doesn’t then keep kneading for a little while. Pour ¾ tbsp. oil over the dough and make a round ball. You will have to coat the dough thinly with oil.
7. Transfer it to a large bowl and keep it in a warm place covered. I keep it in a shelf under the stovetop which is usually warm. Leave it undisturbed for about 1 ½ to 2 hours or until the dough rises well & becomes double. An ideal temperature for the dough to rise well is 32 C to 40 C. You can also preheat your oven to 180 C to 200 C. Put your dough inside with the oven door slightly open. After 10 mins close it completely. If your oven has a setting for rising dough, you can use that too.
8. Meanwhile keep your pizza sauce ready from this homemade pizza sauce post.
9. Chop the vegetables and toss them in oil, grate the cheese. Set these aside.
10. Preheat the oven to 220 C for at least 20 to 25 mins. If using a pizza stone heat it as well.
11. When the dough is ready. Punch it to deflate (remove the air bubbles). Sprinkle some corn meal or flour on the pizza tray or plate.
12. Place dough on the plate and with your fingertips spread it to a round base of about 9 to 10 inches. Try to make thin or thick to suit your liking.
13. Brush the base with olive oil. Let it rest for 10 to 15 mins. With this recipe it is good to make a thin crust pizza as the whole wheat flour doesn’t taste good when made to a thick base. However If you are making a thick crust, then I suggest you bake the pizza base for 5 to 7 mins. This prevents doughy or uncooked pizza and also prevents burning the cheese.
14. Take it out then smear the sauce over the base, as much as you want.
15. Add all the veggies evenly.
16. Sprinkle the shredded cheese and crushed pepper. Then sprinkle oregano or your favorite herbs.
17. Bake this for about 10 to 12 mins or till the base is done. To check I generally go by the colour of the base. The last 1 to 2 mins to brown the cheese you can move to the top rack and leave.
Slice veg pizza and serve.