walnut burfi recipe – an easy fudge that can be made easily for kids.
Though walnuts are super food, we often limit them due to the bitter taste. But soaking them prior to using removes the bitterness. First time when I made the saffron rice with walnuts, my kids were not keen to taste it, but somehow got them to eat the nuts to make them understand that when soaked and cooked they do not taste bitter. So they now welcome any thing that is cooked with walnuts.
Earlier I had prepared this burfi several times without soaking them, I just used milk to grind to a smooth paste. That resulted in a heavy and rich sweet and was mildly bitter too. But wanted to try this lighter and quick version of walnut burfi recipe that requires no milk, no ghee and is a quick to make sweet.
related recipe: chocolate burfi
here is the walnut burfi recipe
- 200 grams of walnuts
- 1 cup sugar or coconut palm sugar
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp of olive oil or almond oil
- Few drops of any essence (optional)
- 1 tbsp. Desiccated coconut for garnishing (optional)
- Pistachios for garnishing (optional)
- 3 tbsp. water
- This walnut burfi recipe needs soaking walnuts. Soak walnuts for 2 hrs and drain the water completely.
- Grind in a processor or a mixer without adding any water or milk, till smooth.
- Mix sugar and water in a heavy bottom utensil or non-stick. Begin to cook till it reaches a string consistency. .Take a small quantity of syrup between the thumb and index finger, you can see a sticky consistency. if you are new to string consistency, just ignore about it, wait till the syrup begins to bubble and proceed, you will still get a nice walnut burfi.
- Add the walnut paste, cardamom powder, oil, essence if any and mix well.
- Cook on a medium flame till it begins to leave the sides and becomes a single mass. At this stage you can grease your fingers and check if you can get a non-sticky ball.
- Let it cool down for a while, when the mix is still warm, just knead it for a min and make a square on a greased plate, sprinkle nuts or coconut as per your desire and just pat it. Set aside for 5 mins.
- Cut them to desired shapes. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.